Home Bakery Certificate and License

Please note that this process will vary from country to country.

I can only speak as a South African, so you will need to take responsibility to find out what you need to do in your own country. I have scanned a few websites and so far it seems that the process is more or less in the same in the USA and UK, but you will still need to do your own research.

This post is for South Africans yes, but also for Home Bakers in other countries – to ease your mind and show you that the process of obtaining your business license and health department certificates is actually not that complex or stressful!


Why You Need a Home Bakery Certificate and License

In South Africa they won’t really hunt you down and fine you if you do not have the correct documentation – we are a third world country after all. In other countries they might fine you though.

The main reason for getting a home bakery business license and certificate is because it is ETHICAL and LEGAL. I would not want to bake goods for the public in my kitchen if I knew something was not up to scratch. Would you?

The municipal standards for health and safety are there to protect us and our clients.

Most food markets will also require you to provide the correct documentation for your Home Bakery before you are permitted to trade. If you don’t have it and an inspector decides to pay a visit to the food market, both you and the food market owners could get into a lot of trouble – a severe fine or even being shut down.


Certificate & License Required for Home Bakery

Home Bakeries need to apply for 2 different documents.

A Certificate of Acceptability (COA):

This certificate refers to the condition of your food preparation facilities, in other words your home’s kitchen. An environmental health and safety officer will visit your home to inspect your kitchen and bathroom facilities.

They typically look out for the following criteria:

  1. Kitchen countertops are non – porous. This means that they do not absorb any substances during food preparation. For this reason, your countertops should always be treated to be waterproof. They don’t have to be stainless steel, they should just be waterproof. If they are not waterproof, they will absorb food and become infested with bacteria. Not cool.
  2. Adequate washing facilities. You don’t need a massive dishwasher or 3 sinks. They just check that you have running hot and cold water and at least 1 basin.
  3. Bathroom facilities – quite obvious I guess. It is important that you have a bathroom for staff to use away from the kitchen.
  4. Adequate refrigeration and storage for food products.
  5. Hairnets and Aprons – also quite obvious.

Hawking in Meals Business License:

This license refers to producing goods on one premises and transporting them to a different premises to be sold there. This is typically what Home Bakeries do, since we don’t have a restaurant or café at our own homes.

Whether you supply goods to restaurants, cafes or delis or sell your goods at food markets, this is a license you really need to do so LEGALLY.

The same Environmental Health and Safety Officer will ask to see your food transportation containers. They should be airtight and watertight with lids.

An Inspector may also visit you at any food market you do. There are also some additional criteria you will have to meet if you plan to prepare bakes at the food market itself and not at home. You can download all the additional guidelines for informal food trading.


Applying for Home Bakery Certificate and License

  1. If you are not South African: Use Google to find your city’s main Municipal Office. Phone them and ask to speak to someone in the Environmental Health and Safety Department. Explain the nature of your business and ask them what licenses and certificates you will need to apply for.
  2. Decide which day you want to go to your municipal offices. Be sure to double check their office hours – in South Africa they are only open for like 5 hours a day! Take your Identification Document along and a black pen.
  3. When you arrive at the Municipality Building, ask staff to direct you to the Environmental Health and Safety Department.
  4. Wait in line – yay. When it’s your turn, explain the nature of your business clearly so that they can give you the correct application forms.
  5. Complete the forms and pay the fee. It’s really inexpensive. In South Africa it’s like R 10 ($0.92).
  6. The Environmental Health and Safety Department will the contact your closest Environmental Health and Safety Office. They will then contact you somewhere in the course of 2 weeks to set up an appointment for inspection.
  7. Make sure your home is nice and clean and all your pets are outside during the inspection. Be friendly and show the official your kitchen and bathroom facilities. Be available so that you can answer any questions they may have Also have your hairnet and apron on standby so that you can show them to the official. Once they are satisfied they will leave.
  8. The environmental health and safety office issues your Home Bakery certificate and license. The Municipality will phone you to come and collect it, but they also offer to post it to you if you live far out of town. The whole process takes about 2 – 4 weeks from start to finish.

Note that the Home Bakery Certificate and License are linked to your specific baking premises, aka your home. If you move house you will need to apply for these documents all over again.

I scanned my Home Bakery Certificate and License the moment I receive them. It’s always handy to have them on file in case the physical copies get lost! Which tends to happen in our home… to MANY official documents… like our marriage certificate!

Home Bakery Certificate and License you need to operate your Home Bakery legally. I also chat about Home Bakery Insurance and business registration. All the info you need with step by step instructions.

Business Registration

It is not compulsory to register your Home Bakery’s name if you are a sole proprietor. Sole proprietor simply means that you (1 person) are the exclusive owner of your business. 

However, it might be a good idea to register your business name if you want to prevent people from stealing it. In South Africa you can register your Home Bakery’s name through CIPC. Costing may vary, but you should budget for about R 1000 (about $80).

If you live in another country, you will need to do some research on companies that do business name registration.


Home Bakery Insurance

This also varies greatly from county to country. I’m aware that folks in the USA sue people for almost anything if they have the power to do so. In South Africa we can’t really be bothered.

I don’t believe insurance is necessary for a Home Bakery – no matter what country you live in. If you are worried that someone may sue you because they had an allergic reaction to your bakes, then include a thorough disclaimer on your Home Bakery’s website or Facebook page.

You can check out my Home Bakery’s disclaimer. Just copy it and sub in your own Home Bakery’s Name and details where applicable.

Obviously you should have household insurance to protect your entire home against theft, fires or floods. All your home bakery equipment will automatically be included in that. One of the many perks of baking from home!


And that’s it my friend! Please let me know if you have any other questions by commenting below. I’ll be more than happy to help.

Chat soon

Aurelia 🙂

Hi! I'm Aurelia 🙂

I'm a Self Taught, Full Time
Home Baker empowering
unlock their FULL potential
Home Baking


home bakery | home bakery business | home baking business
food market | food market stall | baking business tips | baking business from home

FREE Resource Library for the Bake Snob Tribe


Pin It on Pinterest