How to STOP Undercharging and Raise Your Baking Prices

How to STOP Undercharging and Raise Your Baking Prices

How to STOP Undercharging and Raise Your Baking Prices

Have you been thinking about raising the prices of your delicious home baked goods?

Maybe you’re here because you’ve been struggling to make a profit in your home baking business.

You’re working SUPER hard and you’re baking practically every day of the week.

You say no to 9/10 social gatherings because you always have baking that needs to get done.

You’re up early every morning and working late every other night.

While your family is barbequing outside, you’re in the kitchen baking orders for tomorrow.

Then you look at your financials at the end of the month and see that you’re STILL earning small change. Despite all that effort and sacrifice! 😒 How is this possible?! 

My friend, I know exactly how you feel because I’ve been there.

If your Home Bakery has enough clients and orders to keep you this busy in your baking, that’s awesome! Congrats to you!

But for a business to succeed and be sustainable, you’re going to need more than just heaps of orders.

You’re going to need each order to be as profitable as it can be.

 

“Why Should I Raise My Prices When Customers Prefer Cheap Products?”

Be very careful how you think about pricing and customers. If it were true that all clients prefer cheap products, then companies with super expensive products (like Ferrari, Prada and Rolex) wouldn’t exist.

Truth is that all customers are NOT the same!

YOU are not your ideal client. Just because YOU wouldn’t spend a certain amount of money on baked goods, doesn’t mean all other people won’t.

All people don’t want the same things. All of them don’t have the same spending priorities as you.

People spend money on fascinating things!

My in-laws, for example, never ever eat out at a restaurant. BUT they’ve spent thousands on collecting drawers upon drawers full of DVD’s. Home entertainment is a priority for them, so that’s where they spend their money.

My husband and I were quite poor when we just got married. We slept on single mattresses on the floor during the first year of our marriage. BUT, we ate out at least once every 2 weeks – because eating delicious food is a priority for us!

All clients don’t prefer cheap products with cheap quality. Don’t fall for the assumption your mind is making.

There are thousands upon thousands of people out there who will gladly pay good money for superior products like yours.

RELATED: 6 Steps to Pricing Your Home Baking With Confidence

Have you been struggling to turn a profit in your home baking business? You’re working super hard, saying no to most social events and you’re baking practically every day of the week! Then you look at your financials at the end of the month and see that your home bakery is STILL earning small change! My friend, I know exactly how you feel because I’ve been there. You need to RAISE your home bakery's prices! Here's how to do it... #homebaking #baking #cakepricing #homebakery #bakingbusiness

 

“Isn’t it Greedy to Charge Higher Prices?”

In short, not at all. Just like plants need water to survive, businesses need money to survive.

If you want to bake as a hobby, that’s fine. But if you want to turn your baking into a business that actually gets you a salary every month, you need to charge properly.

Charging your clients decent prices is not about being “obsessed with money” or “greedy” or “milking clients” for crazy profits.

It’s just a basic fact of business. Businesses need to make money or else they die. It’s just that simple.

 

The Hamster Wheel that Doesn’t Get Your Home Bakery More Profit

Deep down we KNOW our baking business needs to make more money so we try to fix this. But we try to fix it the wrong way!

1. We so easily assume that our businesses aren’t growing because we “need more Instagram followers” for example. But it’s 100% possible to have a huge Instagram following and still not make enough money to even bake part-time!

In fact I know bakers with a following of like twenty thousand people but they are not making enough money from their baking business to do it full-time. “Popularity doesn’t pay the bills.” Jasmine Star

2. Another super popular misconception most home bakers have is that they just need MORE clients and MORE orders for their business to do well. And they think the way to achieve that is MORE advertising – resonate with this one?

But it’s a flawed and dangerous approach.

Even if you advertise and market your business and bring in more clients, your business will STILL struggle.

It doesn’t help if you have a heap of clients but you still undercharge ALL of them. That’s not a recipe for success, that’s just a recipe for burn-out.

The answer to your problems of burn-out and lack of profit isn’t getting more and more clients.

Here’s a metaphor to explain my point better…

Let’s say your success is this water tank on the right. When it’s full you’ve reached your profit goals. But YOU have to fill your success tank with water from this river on the left – which represents your potential clients & profit. The only tool you can use is a water bucket to carry profit from the river to the tank.

How to raise your home bakery's prices

When you’re undercharging your clients it’s like your water bucket has a hole in the bottom. So no matter how hard you try, loads and loads of water won’t make it to your profit tank.

And now you’ve got 2 options:

1. Run faster and faster from the river to the tank and scoop larger and larger amounts of water that you can barely carry.

OR option 2 which is to…

2. Plug the hole in your bucket!

Which option do you think is more logical? Which option is more sustainable? 

It’s to plug the hole in your bucket, right?

In the exact same way the answer to your combination of burn-out and low profit won’t be solved by working faster and scooping up more clients.

The solution to home bakery burn-out lies in charging enough for the clients that you DO have right now so that all the water you carry and all the work you do goes into your success tank and contributes to your profit & success.

Does this make sense?

How much income is your home bakery missing out on every month because you keep undercharging for your baking? It shouldn't be this way! You deserve to be paid well for your hard work! In this post you'll learn how to stop feeling guilty for charging customers full price. Then you'll get step-by-step tips for raising your prices so you can start earning more income from your home baking :) #homebakery #homebakerypricing #cakebusiness #homebakingbusiness

 

The REAL Reason You Feel Guilty to Charge Full Price

Now we get to plugging the hole in your bucket!

Here’s a REAL life story about undercharging. The story is about my friend’s mother – let’s call her Gwen. Gwen has a catering business. She’s had this business for decades now – she’s been selling her food for about twenty years and she’s a fantastic cook. 

Her food is absolutely incredible.

She takes so much care in what she does.

She deals with people extremely well, she cares about her clients.

It’s like all the boxes are ticked but here’s the thing… Her business is barely surviving and has been barely surviving for the last twenty years. She has a great product and heaps of clients so those aren’t the reasons why her business is struggling. 

The real problem is that she always undercharges.

My friend had a conversation with her mother a while back about all the discounts she gives. And as I was listening, something suddenly clicked for me about undercharging.

Gwen told her directly that she doesn’t want to charge people a lot of money. If they just tell her that her food was delicious and that they enjoyed it then that’s MORE than enough for her!

Can you relate to that? If people just tell you “Thank you so much! This cake just made my day. I appreciate it so much. It’s made my birthday spectacular. It’s the most delicious cake I’ve ever had.”

Does that positive of feedback help you to feel amazing about yourself as a person? Does it make you feel valued and treasured and like you matter?

You’re not alone! All of us feel so appreciated and valued when someone enjoys our baking. 

It’s a good thing that people appreciate your bakes. But it can turn into a problem. Let me explain why…

What if I told you that people are actually already paying you full price for your bakes but you might not necessarily be aware of it?

When you keep undercharging clients over and over again it’s because: 

Whatever people don’t pay you in money, or whatever you don’t charge them in money, you’re subconsciously expecting them to pay in validation.

That’s the truth bomb of today. I hope you understand what I’m saying here. 

Here’s an illustration to help you understand.

how to charge higher prices for your home baking

The top level is full price. Now you charge them less which is the marked level further down.

If you charge them less you think you’re making a financial choice, but the reality is that you’re subconsciously expecting them to make up this difference in validation – so that you’ll feel okay about yourself and about your business. 

I know this because I did this myself for YEARS without knowing it!

We basically charge our clients less so that they can pay us in validation to make us feel worthy. We undercharge so our clients make us feel valued, to make us feel like we are enough. 

It’s really scary, I know, but it’s the truth and you need to know this otherwise you’ll be under-charging for your baking for the rest of your life. 

But I also want you to know that it’s not your fault that you feel this way. It’s not your fault that you’re doing this. It’s incredibly normal and I did this too.

 

How to Charge Higher Prices: Step-by-Step

1. Spell out for yourself what makes you valuable as a human being.

It’s not your work (because babies are valuable even though they do zero work). It’s not people’s praise (because people are biased, flawed and lie regularly). It took me a long time to see it, but eventually God helped me realize that I’m valuable because HE loves me. Not because a client loves me.

Really take time to think about what it is that makes you valuable as a person. Once you establish this, you’ll feel way more liberty to charge the prices you’re supposed to.

2. Download the Pricing Calculator that calculates your recommended selling prices FOR you!

No need to do complicated math!

🌟 You can download the Pricing Calculator in the Free Resource Library >> click here to join the Library. If you’ve already joined the library, then open the last email I sent you and click the blue link to the Library right at the bottom of my email.

3. Read the instructions for how to use the Pricing Calculator. Then calculate the selling prices of your baked goods.

4. Update your prices! Simple as that! If the price increase is quite drastic, then you can increase your prices halfway now and the rest of the way 3 months from now.

 

“What if I Feel the Recommended Selling Price is too High?”

The most important thing you need to know about home bakery pricing is that it’s not about your feelings! I know this sounds harsh, but let me explain.

Pricing is a mathematical, LOGICAL thing. If you build a business according to your feelings, you won’t make sound business decisions.

Logically, you need to charge the prices the Pricing Calculator recommends if you have any hope of CARRYING ON with your Home Bakery. I know it’s hard! But I’ve come to understand that a successful business is built on logical decisions, not emotional ones.

If you keep undercharging and giving discounts because of your feelings, you’ll burn out OR your business will.

I HAVE SOME DEEPER QUESTIONS FOR YOU:

>> Be honest: are you pretty much working all the time? Weekends? After hours?

>> Does you take in every order you get because you feel you NEED this money for your business to survive?

>> Are you undercharging because you’re so scared that if you raise your prices, your customers will get upset and leave?

>> Are you close to burning out? Are your relationships suffering because you’re maxed out and can’t keep up with everything?

All these are symptoms of not pricing correctly.

If you raised your hand to any of these symptoms, then the “Confident Pricing & Profit Kit” is the perfect fit for you! The Confident Pricing & Profit Kit is an online course for home bakers that takes the stress out of Home Bakery Pricing & Bookkeeping with done-for-you templates and systems.

👉 Click here to check out the Confident Pricing & Profit Kit

Frustrated that you're baking 24/7 and still not earning enough money in your home bakery? I know exactly how you feel! The solution is to raise your prices. I know you might feel too guilty or awkward to charge higher prices for your baking, so let me show you how to raise your prices step-by-step! Click through to learn how... #baking #homebaking #cakepricing #homebakery #bakingbusiness

 

What if a Client Complains About Your Prices?

If a client complains about your prices, then they are simply NOT your ideal client.

Truth is there will absolutely be clients who aren’t a good fit for your home bakery – and that’s ok! You don’t need everyone to like your business in order to be successful!

Handmade, homemade baked goods are luxury items and extremely valuable. Clients get something that’s made FRESH, just for them with top quality ingredients. It’s not a week old and with cheap ingredients like in the grocery store! 

Even though there’s a huge market for this HIGH QUALITY type of home baking, it’s not for everyone – especially not “budget clients”. I’m sure you’ve encountered budget clients before!

If someone complains about your prices, you can politely refer them to the cheap, semi-stale stuff you find in the grocery store’s baking section.

How you determine your prices is none of your client’s business.

Do these clients do the same thing when they go to restaurants?… “Excuse me KFC cashier, but that cook of yours back there has a trainee badge and is new to the cooking scene. So, I’m only going to pay half for my order.”

No! It’s not even an option at ANY restaurant.

YOUR PRICES ARE YOUR PRICES. It’s not your job to “convince” clients that your prices are fair. Don’t take the bait! If they doubt your prices or complain, politely refer them to the grocery store’s baking section.

You can use this script:

“Hi NAME 🙂 I would have loved to bake for you, but unfortunately my prices are my prices. Every item is handmade with high quality ingredients and care. These things are very important in my business and cost a lot to keep going. If you’d like something more affordable, I highly recommend [local commercial bakery/grocery store]. I hope your event is wonderful! Best regards.”

 

A Bonus Tip on “Budget-Clients”

On this note, be careful not to market your baking as “for everyone and every occasion” because then you WILL attract budget clients who complain and ask for discounts!

Instead, focus on the fact that your bakes are a full on luxury, HIGH QUALITY, gourmet experience.

RELATED: 4 Essential Tips for Marketing Your Home Bakery Business

 

Closing Thoughts on Raising Your Home Bakery Prices

I know first-hand how scary it is to raise your prices! I get it.

But your business NEEDS you to raise your prices. Because if you don’t, it won’t survive.

Clients that aren’t willing to pay more for your high quality, homemade baked goods, probably weren’t your ideal clients in the first place!

But take heart because there are PLENTY more clients for you out there!

 

“What if I STILL feel too guilty to charge full price?”

It’s totally possible that you may read through this entire post and still feel too guilty to charge full price for your bakes. There’s no shame in that. I struggled with the same thing for YEARS!

NOW I HAVE SOME DEEPER QUESTIONS FOR YOU:

>> Be honest: are you pretty much working all the time? Weekends? After hours?

>> Do you take in every order you get because you feel you NEED this money for your business to survive?

>> Are you undercharging because you’re so scared that if you raise your prices, your customers will get upset and leave?

>> Are you close to burning out? Are your relationships suffering because you’re maxed out and can’t keep up with everything?

All of these are symptoms of not pricing correctly.

If you raised your hand to any of these symptoms, then the “Confident Pricing & Profit Kit” is the perfect fit for you! The Confident Pricing & Profit Kit is an online course that helps home bakers to do their pricing & bookkeeping the RIGHT way so they can earn more income without feeling guilty for charging their customers full price.

👉 Click here to check out the Confident Pricing & Profit Kit

I trust that this post has FINALLY given you everything you needed to settle the issues of raising your prices in your home bakery!

If you have any further questions, share them with me in the comments below and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can! 😉

Chat soon

Aurelia

Got a question? Something to add? Let’s chat in the comments section down below! (I respond to every single comment)

5 Tips to Help Your Home Bakery Business During COVID-19

5 Tips to Help Your Home Bakery Business During COVID-19

5 Tips to Help Your Home Bakery Business During COVID-19

In December 2019 I made a long list of all the blog posts I’ll be writing this year… THIS post definitely wasn’t one of them.

Wherever you are in the world right now, I’m sure you can feel the tension, fear and mourning across the globe… COVID-19 has made its way around the world. Every day things are changing and escalating.

Schools are closed.
Businesses are closing.
Hospitals are overflowing.

And now comes the question; What should Home Bakery Business owners do during the COVID-19 pandemic?

In this post I’ll share some facts to help you feel more prepared and confident about what you CAN do during this time of uncertainty.

 

1. COVID-19 will absolutely affect your Home Bakery Business

The COVID-19 situation WILL affect your sales. That’s a guarantee. We need to accept that and make peace with this fact as fast as we can manage. You won’t be able to carry on with “business as usual” and still get the same income.

You’ll need to open yourself to the idea of doing things a bit DIFFERENTLY during this pandemic.

Whether you feel panic OR that people are exaggerating, none of your feelings are really relevant in your BUSINESS right now.

During this time your business will be shaped by how your CLIENTS are feeling.

Some clients will be too cautious to buy any goods from you and others will feel that it’s actually safer to buy from a home business (which it IS by the way! More on that later).

You can’t control how your clients are feeling about this pandemic.

And honestly I feel everyone has a right to feel and do whatever they feel is necessary to cope with the situation – whether it be to panic or to be in denial. One response isn’t “better” or “worse” than the other. It’s just how we cope with our emotions and we all cope differently with uncertainty and fear.

That’s okay.

But the bottom line is here that WE (Home Bakers) are PEOPLE and our clients are PEOPLE. People have emotions. And scientifically we know that emotions determine our decisions and actions.

So it’s not so much the virus itself that will directly influence your baked goods or something. The real thing that WILL affect your business is the EMOTION that people are experiencing.

All of the emotion in other people is totally beyond your control.

And please don’t judge any of your clients that are too scared to buy baked goods from you in this time. Make a point of respecting their emotions and their decisions.

You will get fewer sales. Your income will feel it. Try to make peace with this as soon as you can because you can’t avoid this effect and it’s outside your control.

That being said there are things WITHIN your control that you CAN at least try. You might not be able to make money from your Home Bakery the same way you always have, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing you can do!

There’s plenty other income ideas you can test. Some of them will work more effectively for you than others. It all depends on how your clients respond. But it’s totally worth a shot! Some of these tips might really help you to use your home baking skills in NEW ways to earn money.

 

2. COMMUNICATE with your clients.

Personally I feel that the one WORST thing you can do in this time is to say NOTHING about COVID-19. You need to say something about it to your clients. Even if you just talk about what you’re feeling right now.

When you say nothing you’ll unfortunately come across as a heartless person and business. You and both know that’s not who you are. But when something serious like this is happening, your CLIENTS NEED you to show your humanity.

Your humanity is what connects your clients to you.

Home bakery businesses are all about humanity! The word “home” is in our trade. We HAVE to always represent the humanity of “home” to our clients.

So I encourage you to share an Instagram post, Facebook post and preferably also an email with your clients and followers to share your feelings and thoughts about the COVID-19 situation.

And since we’re talking about client-communication, also inform your clients THOROUGHLY about the extra precautions you’re taking to keep them safe.

Wash your hands, wear gloves while you’re baking. Tell them that your entire family is staying home during this time for THEIR safety (hopefully you are). Don’t just tell your clients about these precautions, SHOW them as well.

You can also offer to deliver goods to their home or to take goods to them in their car when they park outside your home.

Explain how it’s a LOT safer to park alone outside an isolated home than it is to go buy baked goods in a public grocery store with loads of people! Home Based businesses are safer because the public don’t gather there.

 

3. Alternative Income Options for Your Home Bakery

As I’ve said earlier, no matter how many extra measures you take to keep your clients safe, some of them just won’t buy from you anymore during this time of pandemic fear.

You’ll need to start getting creative with using your baking skills in DIFFERENT ways to generate an income for yourself.

I don’t have all the answers here, I only have suggestions. You’ll need to take responsibility to tap into your own creativity and brainstorm ideas!

You could consider hosting online baking classes through Zoom or doing a bake-along video like Cupcake Jemma on YouTube. People are confined to their homes so they ARE spending more time on social media and watching videos online.

Be sure to ask your clients if they’d be interested in something like this before you do it. That way you’ll know if it will actually add value to your clients’ lives.

You could also do Instagram lives while you’re decorating your bakes. Your skills might be boring to you, but they’re extraordinary to your followers! This is a great time to show people what goes into baking goods at your home and build relationships with them.

If you keep creating regular opportunities to connect online with your clients during this time, you’ll come out the other end with STRONG client relationships. And when a client has to choose between 2 bakers who bake similar goods they’ll ALWAYS choose the baker they feel they know, like and trust more!

Another idea is to make and sell baking kits for your recipes to your clients!

Package the measured and weighed dry ingredients and extras in baggies, print out instructions and put everything together in a pretty box. Since people are at home it might be a fun activity for them to bake with their kids.

This way they also have the peace of mind that any possible traces of the virus are being killed in their own oven. If they BAKE the goods in their own protected home, the treats will be 100% safe.

Baking from scratch seems too overwhelming for people who don’t bake often, but with a baking kit you’re making it easier for them.

Focus on easier things like brownies, cookies and various muffins. It’s baking fun to keep your clients and their kids busy!

 

4. USE your extra time WISELY!

In April 2015 I went through the most HORRIBLE & STRESSFUL time in the history of my Home Bakery Business.

First, one of my wholesale clients cancelled because they wanted to cut costs and try to rather bake themselves. I was sad, but this wasn’t a huge setback because this client provided about 15% of my income.

But then, just 2 weeks later, my biggest wholesale client cancelled… I baked everything for their FIVE coffee shops! So in a way I was losing FIVE clients, not just one.

In total I lost over 70% of my income in just 2 weeks.

It was devastating. My husband and I were honestly just getting by, living from month to month in between all the study debt and mortgage breathing down our necks every month.

That worst case scenario we all imagine… That picture we have of FAILING… Here it was! It was happening. It was REAL.

Fortunately this failure wasn’t because my products were bad. It was because my products were GOOD and not cheap.

For the first time in my baking journey I didn’t feel inferior to the coffee shop owners. I always thought that they were better than me in some way because they were more successful.

But in this case I knew that I did nothing wrong as a BAKER. As a business owner I did plenty of things wrong, lol! But as a BAKER I’d done nothing wrong.

And it was the first time I really started EMBRACING my unique baking voice. I’m NOT willing to compromise on quality and flavour just to save or make a buck. I’m NOT going to apologize for having a great product.

The WORST experiences in our lives can transform into DEFINING MOMENTS when we become humble and teachable.

Before this whole incident happened my husband told me for MONTHS to read this book called “The $100 Startup” #ad.

I kept telling him “WHY should I read it? My business is doing great!” That, my dear friend, is what pride sounds like. And nothing destroys a business as quickly as pride does.

"How is my Home Bakery Business going to survive the COVID-19 pandemic"... That's what most baking business owners are thinking right now! Read this post to get tips and ideas for how you can keep growing your home bakery during this difficult time AND stay safe. #homebakery #bakingbusiness #homebaking #cakebusiness

When I lost those clients and 70% of my income I unexpectedly had some TIME available!

I started reading this book my husband kept going on about; not because I felt I needed to. I was still too proud to admit that! In my mind it was still the coffee shop owners’ faults. But I started reading this book because I didn’t have much else to do!

Over the next few days of reading I finally realized how little I actually know about building a successful small business! I was humbled. And therefore I finally became teachable.

The information in this book helped my business to go from -70% income to being fully booked for 3 months in advance just a year later.

And it’s all because (by FORCE of circumstances) I had TIME to invest in my knowledge and skills.

So right now you may be facing unfortunate circumstances with COVID-19, you’re also now in the fortunate position to have TIME. Use it wisely!

Don’t spend all this time being sad or frustrated. USE THIS TIME YOU’VE BEEN GIVEN. Use it to educate yourself on business and marketing.

Use this time to GET AHEAD in your skills! This pandemic will end at some point. Won’t it be amazing if you’re way ahead of other Home Bakers simply because you considered your FUTURE instead of present reality?

I know it sucks t have less sales. This is NOT ideal.

But PLEASE do your future self a favour and start using this extra time to grow your marketing knowledge and skills. Read my previous blog post! Here’s the link >> The 5 best (and cheapest) resources to grow your Home Bakery Business!

 

5. Be HONEST with yourself and be safe

Here’s where I’m going to get a bit fierce. If there’s even a 1% risk that you might have the Coronavirus, please close your Home Bakery for now. You could always get tested to make sure and then re-open your Home Bakery.

Please consider your clients’ safety as if they were your own children. Don’t sell them things if you’re not 100% sure that you’re fine.

BUT please keep baking for as long as you feel it’s safe though, because people really need comforting home baked goods right now!

They need experiences that remind them of the BEAUTY of life.
They need HOPE and perspective.
Home Baked goods provide that for people.

Be the band that plays on the Titanic while it’s sinking. Super sad analogy, but I saw it on Cupcake Jemma’s Instagram Stories and I feel it’s such a noble pursuit to serve people with BEAUTY during panic.

 

And then as a last encouragement I just want to tell you that 80,9% of COVID-19 cases are mild.

Be careful what you consume in the media. The media knows that people are scared and they’re taking advantage of the situation by creating “click-worthy” articles and titles.

Their goal is to make money from people’s fear. And they do this by getting as many people onto their websites with ads.

Please be careful and only consume information from credible sources.

I struggle a lot with fear and anxiety – I’ve had to use strong medication for it in the past. I’ve resolved to only watch videos from Doctor Mike on YouTube. He’s really on top of things and has an “Alert, but not anxious” policy which I feel is very helpful and sustainable.

Also feel free to tell your friends not to send you panic-inducing content if it triggers you. Protect your body from stress, because stress only weakens your immune system.

Please be safe.

We’re going to get through this. It shall pass 🙂

Aurelia

Got a question? Something to add? Let’s chat in the comments section down below! (I respond to every single comment)

The 5 Best (and cheapest!) Resources to GROW Your Home Bakery Business

The 5 Best (and cheapest!) Resources to GROW Your Home Bakery Business

The 5 Best (and cheapest!) Resources to Grow Your Home Bakery Business


Honestly, I should have written this post AGES ago!

In this post I’ll share the BEST resources I’ve come across that have actually helped my Home Bakery to GROW. This post is ideal for you if you’ve already started your business and want to GROW it into a part-time or full-time gig.

Over the past few years I’ve been sharing these resources with bakers in emails when they ASKED for it. But it somehow never occurred to me that there are probably thousands of home bakers who have these questions too, but never ask them.

Questions like:

>> “I know my baking tastes really good, but I’m struggling to get clients consistently! How do I get more clients & sales?”

>> “I’ve had a few sales! I feel very excited, but I also feel totally overwhelmed… What am I supposed to do next to grow my business?”

>> “I’m working 24/7, but I’m barely making enough money to cover my expenses. What am I doing wrong? How do I grow my income?

 

This post is here to answer such questions and point you to resources that will help you to reach Home Bakery Success FASTER.

Please note: This post has affiliate links. This means that if you purchase some of these products I get a tiny commission – but at NO extra cost to you. I’m super proud to recommend these resources to you because they’ve completely transformed my Home Bakery Business!

1. Pricing Calculation System

This is probably the most important part of a baking business, but home bakers often don’t realize how serious this is.

You can have the best website in the world and be the best baker in the world – that doesn’t guarantee a successful Home Bakery.

Even if you can have the best recipes in town and have a massive client base… Even if you’re fully booked for months in advance it does NOT guarantee a successful Home Bakery!

We bakers often forget that a baking business is in fact a BUSINESS.

It’s super easy for us to get wrapped up in the BAKING part of it, but a successful Home Bakery is actually only 30% great baking and 70% great BUSINESS strategy.

That’s why large commercial bakeries with average baking are so successful. They KNOW that their BUSINESS strategy matters more than double as much as the quality of their baking!

They may score low on their baking quality, but they’ve got their business strategy down! They’re great business people and therefor their companies thrive.

I’ve told you all of this as an intro to the ONE most important business strategy tip you need.

Here’s my top tip: Businesses need MONEY to stay alive.

It’s not about being greedy at all. Just like plants need water to stay healthy and grow, businesses need money to stay healthy and grow.

If your Home Bakery doesn’t make enough money, it’s going to die. Simple as that. It’s a fact.

Yes, it’s super forward of me to say this so straight. And honestly I wish someone told me things so straight when I first started out!

The MAIN source of income you have is selling your baked goods. That’s where the money is at and it’s VITAL to your success that this part of your business functions properly!

If you undercharge for your baked goods or give all your family’s orders to them for free, you’ll need to address this as soon as possible.

Remember, your business needs money to stay healthy and grow.

If you struggle with undercharging and pricing in general you can check out this blog post >> 6 Steps for Pricing Your Baked Goods with Confidence.

You can also get my Pricing Calculator when you subscribe to my FREE Resource Library! It’s a super nifty PDF file that calculates the recommended selling price FOR you based on your ingredient costs, time spent, etc.

When you have your pricing system in place, your business will make the money it’s supposed to make.

When you price correctly you’re setting your Home Bakery up for growth and success!

2. Marketing for Beginners

Some of the best advice I can offer you is to start educating yourself on MARKETING as soon as possible!

The best products don’t get the most sales. The best MARKETING gets the most sales!

Marketing is ALL about learning how to make strangers realize that YOUR baked goods are exactly what they’ve been looking for.

Bakers tend to view business in a very outdated way. I did too at first!

They believe that there are 2 things you need to do to build a successful Home Bakery Business; bake great treats and advertise them. This strategy may have worked in the 80’s, but it’s not enough anymore!

I’m sure you’ve been experiencing this reality first hand and that’s why you’re here looking for answers.

Down that path the inevitable happens… We believe we just need to “bake great treats and advertise them” but no matter how hard we try, we just DON’T get more clients and sales.

It sucks!

And we start assuming that the reason why it’s not working is because we:

A] Aren’t “good enough” bakers or
B] Aren’t spending enough money on advertising.

This is TOTAL GARBAGE my friend. You’re a victim of totally outdated information!

First of all I want to tell you that businesses don’t struggle because their products aren’t good enough. They also don’t struggle because they don’t advertise enough. And they definitely don’t struggle because they don’t spend “enough money” on advertising.

Want to hear a shocking fact?

For 4 whole years I didn’t need to spend a single cent on advertising and my Home Bakery was fully booked every month! And it’s all because of this ONE thing – Effective Marketing.

Truth is that if you’re not getting clients you have a marketing problem. NOT an advertising problem.

Advertising and marketing isn’t the same thing.

Here’s the difference between Advertising and Marketing:

Marketing is about all the things you do to ATTRACT people to your business.

When you understand marketing and apply it effectively to your business you’re essentially turning your biz into a high-intensity MAGNET that attracts your ideal clients to you on autopilot.

Advertising on the other hand is like deep sea fishing… You go OUT and hope to find clients. It’s stressful. It’s risky. And most of all it gets expensive very fast! I’m sure you’ve felt that with your advertising efforts!

The honest truth: My Home Bakery has been fully booked 98% of the time (sometimes for 3 months in advance) with ZERO advertising.

When I started out in 2013 I DID TRY advertising and I didn’t get any business from it whatsoever! But investing my time in learning about MARKETING has made all the difference in my business.

And the great news is that marketing doesn’t need to be this super expensive mission to learn! It’s actually super cheap and effective to learn from books! That’s what I did and it works 🙂

You don’t need to go to an expensive university to understand marketing. YOU have the power to take control of your education.

I picked up my first ever marketing book I highly recommend that you start with the book just after my baking biz lost a HUGE client and hence 70% of my income – overnight!

I picked up a book (thanks to my legit husband), studied it, applied everything I learned, and a year later my Home Bakery was booked solid for 3 months in advance.

This book is a fantastic introduction to marketing in a small business and it’s called The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau. It changed everything in my Home Bakery!

Get it as soon as you can. Read a bit of it every day. Apply what you learn and I promise you – your Home Bakery Business WILL grow.

3. An Effective Website

As a home baker I totally get how daunting it seems to set up a website!

But the website building world has CHANGED drastically in the past few years. Don’t be scared off by the technological aspect of website building my friend. It’s really not a big deal at all.

Since I built my first, super embarrassing website back in 2012; some amazing, USER FRIENDLY software has been developed to help non-techies like us to build beautiful websites in no time!

But before we get to the “how?” of building a website, it’s essential that we cover the “why?”.

Why do you need a Website?

A] It’s professional:

Home Bakeries are all about approachability and connection. But when it comes to your website, it’s the one place you really need to be super professional.

According to a survey done by CNBC, a staggering 45% of small businesses don’t have a website!

And the fact of the matter is that today’s consumers LIVE online – so you need to be online to reach them.

Having a website communicates to clients that you take your Home Bakery very seriously and that you take them and their needs seriously as well.

If you don’t have a website, there will also be confusion over your availability to bake for them. If you only have, say a Facebook page, it may seem to them that your Home Bakery is just a casual thing you do for friends and family.

Having a website communicates to people that you mean business!

And lastly, to be honest, NOT having a website in this online era will ONLY damage your business’s perceived value.

The very first thing people do when they are interested in a business is to check out their website.

The last thing you want is for someone to be interested in your bakes, but then dismiss your home bakery as sub-standard because you don’t have a website.

Think of a website as your 21st century business card.

Have you ever been in a conversation where you tell people about your baking biz and then they love it so much that they ask for your business card, but then you don’t have one?

It’s such a sucky and embarrassing feeling isn’t it?!

Well, NOT having a website is the 21st Century equivalent of that!

You absolutely need a website to get business and sales to grow your business.

 

B] A Website Increases your Business’s credibility & reach:

As soon as your business has a website, it’s seen as a LEGIT business. It’s like having an online office/shop address.

A Website provides an opportunity for SEO (Search engine optimisation). This sounds complicated, but it’s really simple. SEO is about strategies that websites use to communicate to Google that you are a high quality bakery in your town/city/suburb.

This makes it easier for NEW potential clients to find your business on Google search which means more sales and profit for you!

Without a website, Google unfortunately and literally can’t recommend you to people searching for bakeries online.

 

C] A Website is an Opportunity to Exhibit What You Do:

See your website as a portfolio of what VALUE your Home Bakery has to offer.

If you fail to communicate online WHAT exactly it is that you do and how people can benefit from that, you are losing out on sales – BIG TIME.

Your home bakery essentially has a “job interview” with every single client that’s considering to order from you. And not having a website is like not even showing up for your job interview! Shocking!

 

D] A Website Saves You Time:

It does take some time to set up a website in the beginning, but it’s the most valuable time investment you’ll ever make.

On a website you can put ALL the details about your business and services out there for clients to see. It brings them up to speed with your business workings.

This means that you won’t spend hours answering the same questions over and over again every time someone wants to order from you.

Questions like: Do you bake for weekends? How many people does your 9 inch cake serve? Is there corn flour in your gluten free bakes? Do you deliver?

Prospective clients usually check out your website first before they will actually order from you. If they can find all the answers to their questions on your website, that means clearer communication for them and less work for you.

Even if your home bakery is just starting out as a part time venture, build a website as soon as possible. I built mine when I was just baking once a week! And it has been a backbone of success in my business.

 

HOW to Build a Website:

If you haven’t built a website yet, I strongly urge you to use Wix. They make it SO EASY to create a website – for free!

My very first website was on Wix, but my cousin offered to help me build me a website on WordPress because she knew WordPress very well. When I became more serious about my blog I bought a super expensive WordPress theme that has helped my blogging endeavours in particular.

But if I had to choose a platform for my HOME BAKERY’S website today, I’d absolutely choose WIX. I bought that ridiculously expensive WordPress theme because I was ignorant – to be honest.

I had no idea that Wix had become so incredible.

Squarespace is nice as well, but Wix’s free website themes & templates are better in my honest opinion and Wix is WAY more user friendly and cheaper than Squarespace.

Wix has this very nifty “Wix ADI” which is built in software that creates a whole website FOR YOU based on the information you provide! So awesome!

What’s also great about Wix is that they have a built in SEO program. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. When your SEO is good, then Google will give you a higher ranking which increases your chances of being seen when people Google bakeries in your town/city.

SEO usually takes a lot of time & effort and it’s a steep learning curve to master it. Knowing that Wix takes care of all that will preserve your sanity.

So, my friend, even if you are technologically challenged, you will be able to get the results you want without breaking a sweat.

Another wonderful perk is that lifetime technical support is included! This means they have a team of people online 24/7 to assist you if you get stuck during the website building process.

Click here to start building your website on Wix. With their amazing templates you could be DONE creating your website in like 4 hours max!

And here’s a YouTube tutorial to help you build your Wix website.

4. Build a Story Brand for Your Home Bakery Business

For the first 5 years in my Home Bakery Business I always positioned my Home Bakery to “impress people”. I thought that’s what you need to do to get people’s attention. You need to IMPRESS them.

Maybe you feel that way right now in your business?

But people don’t buy because they’re impressed.

They buy when they clearly (and quickly) see that you UNDERSTAND their problems and can help them to overcome those problems.

Here’s the most shocking truth of why businesses fail: They position themselves as the hero of the story. They make the story all about them and how amazing their company is.

But meanwhile all clients are only interested in ONE story – their OWN story!

Here’s a practical example:

We all tend to think we are Daniel LaRusso at the end of the Karate Kid movie.

On our social media and websites we parade around with our trophy trying to show people “Look! My home bakery it legit! Look at the delicious things I make! Look at the list of organic ingredients I use! Come over here and read my life story that’s all about me!”

I did this too. It’s how we all start out and there’s no shame in that because it’s what we see so many other businesses do.

But if you want your Home Bakery Business to GROW, you’re going to need to start to approach your business’ story DIFFERENTLY.

Truth is, my dear friend, we are NOT the hero of the story.

YOUR CLIENT is the hero.

Your business’ story is about guiding your client to success.

You’re Mr Miyagi!! You are the GUIDE, not the hero.

A successful business is the one guiding Daniel (your client) and helping him to overcome his problems and reach success.

When your business is all about YOU, it won’t attract new clients.

But when your business starts to revolve around your clients’ success, they start flocking to you automatically!

Believe it or not this is just ONE of the SEVEN steps that Donald Miller teaches you in his best-selling book – Building a StoryBrand.

When I started positioning my Home Bakery Business as the GUIDE and the client as the hero, things in my biz totally transformed!

Building a StoryBrand is THE BEST book on Marketing I’ve ever read. Period.

The strategies in this book are a bit more advanced though. This book will only be beneficial to you once you’ve already got a website and have worked through the book The $100 Startup already.

Building a StoryBrand has changed my life! You can also check out their podcast which is free and incredible >> Building a StoryBrand Podcast. But start at EPISODE 1! Don’t skip ahead and miss all the gold!

5. Curated Home Bakery Business Training

I’ve shared a lot of valuable resources with you in this post.

Personally I had to digest all these resources and at least 100 others – I’m talking more books, endless podcast episodes, expensive online courses and more.

Then I had to spend years TESTING & TWEAKING all this info to see what works specifically for a Home Bakery and what doesn’t.

I’ve already gone through this effort, so that means you don’t have to figure it all out by yourself! I’d like to invite you to my next free Home Bakery Masterclass where I’ll share my top Home Bakery Business Secrets with you.

Click the button below to join the wait list for my next FREE Home Bakery Masterclass.

That’s it for this post 🙂 I hope that you’ve enjoyed discovering what resources I’ve used to get my Home Bakery Business to where it is today!

Dive in and take control of your own education. Apply everything you learn and I guarantee you that your Baking Business WILL GROW.

Cheerio

Aurelia

Got a question? Something to add? Let’s chat in the comments section down below! (I respond to every single comment)

How Starting a Home Bakery has Changed My Life

How Starting a Home Bakery has Changed My Life

How Starting a Home Bakery Has Changed My Life

Hey there Home Baker!

I usually share posts about Baking Tips, Home Bakery Business Tips or Refined Recipes. But today I want to break from my usual format and share a side of my story with you that I rarely ever talk about…

I want to give you a closer look inside my life as a full time home baker and more importantly I want to share with you how my Home Bakery has CHANGED my life.

Because my Home Bakery Business HAS changed my life – in ways I NEVER thought possible.

 

There’s so much to say, but I think the best way to go about it is to share the top 11 ways my Home Bakery has changed my life.

So get your cup of coffee, laughing abs and tissues ready!

 

1. My Home Bakery has Given me the Opportunity to Work at Home

Pencil skirts, heels and hair do’s have never been my thing at all. The whole corporate scene in fact just wasn’t a good fit for me… I used to feel “weak and pathetic” for not coping in that stressful environment, but thankfully I see it differently now!

The corporate system is what it is – but I have been made to be ME. It’s like a square peg in a round hole. They just don’t fit and that’s okay 🙂 It doesn’t make either of them “better” or “weaker” but just DIFFERENT.

Some people (like my husband *cough-cough!*) love going on road trips, all kinds of adventures and outings to just “get out”, but honestly I just don’t get that! Lol!

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE being at home!! Always have. Even as a kid I always wanted to stay at home. Sure, I was very insecure, but that’s not why I loved being at home. I love home now for the same reason I did back then.

Home is cozy, friendly, accepting and fun.

I can wear WHATEVER I want! A bad hair day has ZERO relevance. I can have dance parties while I’m baking and sing along to the endless string of musicals I watch on max volume. And NO, after 6 years I’m still not over it!

Along with this comes all the other perks of working at home like never sitting in traffic – like ever! Going for walks outside when I want. Having pets and a garden around (corporate doesn’t offer that benefit). Having peace and quiet. Knowing my bed is only 10 feet away at all times.

These are the kind of things that really boost life’s AWESOME factor for me!

 

2. I Can Decide How & When I Spend My Time

Want to know something REALLY cool? I pretty much never wake up with an alarm clock. Baking is a very physical profession, so I decided to grant my body all the rest it needs to recover from the day’s work.

I sleep till about 07h30, spend time with the Lord, eat breakfast on our couch in the sunshine, shower and only start working at about 09h30.

I realize that things are a bit more complex when you have kids. But I fully believe and have seen that God grants parents the physical strength they need to get through a day when they haven’t had enough sleep.

But the bottom line is that when you have a Home Bakery, you can decide what’s more important to you and structure your work day according to that.

RELATED: How to Plan Your Home Bakery’s Weekly Work Schedule

 

When I have our car I can go shopping when the grocery stores are totally empty. Yes I totally do dance moves when a good song is playing!

How starting a home bakery has changed my life

If I have something urgent happening on any given day, I can just clear my schedule – simple as that.

When a friend or family member needs me, I can plan my work day around that.

I can work and stop working when I choose to.

I don’t take this for granted. It’s such a huge blessing to live this way and I wouldn’t ever want to change it!

 

3. Baking has Helped Me to Understand My Value

This is a more intense one. Have that tissue box close by my friend!

So, my life has not been easy – I mean, whose really has?

But here’s the true story.

I had a tumour (Astrocytoma) in my spinal cord and brain as a baby. It started developing when I was about 2 weeks old, but they only discovered it when I was 1 year old.

MRI scan technology wasn’t available yet in my parents’ small town. I kept on screaming my head off every day and my mom knew something was very wrong with me, but nothing showed up on the X-rays. The MRI when I was 1 year old revealed everything that was going on…

The doctors said that if they operate I’d be paralyzed, but if they don’t operate I’ll die because the tumour was growing rapidly and was already at the breathing centre of my brain.

Everyone my parents knew started praying. The church started a 24 hour prayer chain. My dad came into my room every day and rebuked the growth in the name of Jesus Christ and spoke life and healing into my body in the name of Jesus Christ.

The doctors could finally operate when I was 15 months old because until then I was just too small to operate on.

After a gruelling 8 hour operation, the Neuro Surgeon reported that they could only remove about half of the tumour and by some miracle I wasn’t paralyzed yet.

They recommended radiation, but my parents just didn’t have peace about putting such a small baby through that.

Everyone kept on praying.

My mom said that after the operation I was finally calm and she could see that having so much of the tumour removed definitely increased my comfort.

I made it past the one month mark, then 2 months, 3 months…

At the age of 2 (on my birthday) I started walking for the very first time, down the aisle at church while everyone celebrated and cheered at the Lord’s faithfulness…

I went back for check-ups with the Neuro Surgeon, but somehow the remaining half of the tumour had vanished completely. The Doctor wrote “MIRACLE” on my file.

If you look up case studies on Astrocytomas, the mortality rates are practically 100%. Because they usually grow back. After going for check-ups for nine years, the Doctor told us with a chuckle that he thinks we can stop coming!

So yes, that’s what Jesus Christ has done. He is alive. He is beyond powerful. He is 100% REAL and He loves us like no one has ever loved.

 

Where it gets tricky is that a lot of permanent nerve damage was done to the entire right side of my body. My whole right side is smaller and weaker. My shoes differ 2 sizes, I have scoliosis, limited function on the entire right side of my body and had a skew right leg (which doctors operated on when I was 12).

Unfortunately kids aren’t very tactful – especially when you look different.

So I was excluded, rejected, bullied, tripped, and ridiculed in public throughout my school years…

This made me believe that I am worthless, faulty, not good enough, unworthy, embarrassing to people and that I have no real value to offer anyone.

 

But baking was a haven. It’s something that I can do WELL. And somehow, cakes I made with my own two hands made people HAPPY… What a gift to bring HAPPINESS to someone’s life?!

It took a while, but seeing that I bring joy, comfort and inspiration to people’s lives through baking made me SEE that I have so much to share with the world and that I am incredibly valuable…

All that stuff that happened with those other kids was a total lie.

 

4. My Business has Helped to Heal My Confidence

A very interesting thing happens whenever you start any business; whatever is going on inside you WILL come out.

Over my last 6 years of full-time baking it’s become crystal clear that our baking talents or resources are not the key factors that determine our business’s success at all!

 

We keep thinking the reasons our Home Bakery is struggling are our recipes, abilities and lack of resources, but they are not to blame.

It’s not really everything outside you that’s holding your business back, but everything that’s going on INSIDE YOU.

Michael Gerber wrote this incredible book from his own experiences of working with struggling small businesses (The E-Myth Revisited). At one point he says:

“Your business is nothing more than a distinct reflection of who you are. So if your business is to change – as it must to continually thrive – you must change first. If you are unwilling to change, your business will never be able to give you what you want.”

The moment you decided to start a Home Bakery was the moment you agreed to a never-ending journey of personal growth and transformation.

There’s no escaping it and trust me, you’ll learn to love it!

YOU are the center of your business. Not your baking, but YOU as a person.

YOUR inner constitution directly shapes your business every single day. Your thoughts influence your feelings, your feelings influence your actions and your actions determine your results.

RELATED: 5 Mindset Shifts of Successful Home Bakery Owners

 

A Home Bakery DOES change your life - in ways I NEVER imagined possible. It's given me the opportunity to work from home, leave behind my anxiety meds, heal my confidence and SO MUCH MORE. Click through to discover how starting a Home Bakery Business can change your life. #homebakery #cakebusiness #bakingbusiness

So when my business was struggling at first, it FORCED me to start opening up my issues. I had to! There was no way around it! So I gradually started releasing and repenting (because I’m a Christian) from my false beliefs that I embraced as “truth” for most of my life.

Actual TRUTH started replacing those lies and guess what? A confident, secure Aurelia started emerging on the other side 😀 How extraordinary, right?!

The Lord works in mysterious ways!

 

5. My Home Bakery has Helped Me to Mature

Now because of my difficult childhood, I subconsciously expected (even demanded) that the rest of my life should be smooth sailing.

Out of the thousands of kids in all the schools in my hometown, I was the only one that had to put up with such physical and emotional struggles.

I remember always feeling like I’m not disabled enough to get all the benefits and I’m also not normal enough to be accepted.

It was TOTALLY unfair.

And after my sister died… Man… That was just ridiculous.

The world owed me – BIG time. I was the victim and at a massive disadvantage.

I blamed God and the world for EVERYTHING. And when my business wasn’t doing well it was also obviously God’s fault.

It also seemed like everyone around me that had rich parents that pulled out their credit card whenever their kids want to start a business, or travel places or study anything.

Why can’t my life just be “easy” like everyone else’s? Why doesn’t God send me more clients? Why does everything have to be this constant struggle? I work super hard; can’t God just let it go WELL for me just once?

Oh boy I was so deeply snuggled in my twisted victim blanket…

 

Through the Lord’s mercy He never answered those questions directly. He patiently and faithfully SHOWED me, over time, what was really going on.

I blamed God for not sending me more clients and not “blessing” my business, when in fact He was not to blame.

Truth is, it was MY FAULT.

I’d been ignorant and didn’t educate myself in business, marketing and sales. A successful business doesn’t fall out of the sky for ANYONE.

Starting my business was one thing, but GROWING it forced me to start taking RESPONSIBILITY for my situation.

We all are dealt a hand of cards.

Are we going to spend our entire lives grumbling about our hand OR are we going to say: “Hmm, interesting. Let me humble myself and ask God what I should do next. Let’s be teachable and read a book on cards and interview and learn from some experts to see what a good move will be.”

I’ve had to GROW UP and MATURE in order for my business (and relationships) to grow and mature.

And for this I’m DEEPLY GRATEFUL. Maturing has meant throwing away and repenting from my victim blanket.

And you know what – I don’t miss that blanket AT ALL. In reality it just WEIGHED ME DOWN my whole life.

Maturing has brought freedom and joy.

 

6. My Home Bakery Eliminated the Need for Anxiety Meds

Back in 2012 I worked as an Architectural technologist for about 7 months and it was one of the most challenging times of my life. The work itself was totally fine, but the office environment was absolutely horrid.

You see, the Architecture industry is intense in its very nature. It’s kind of a given when millions are at stake. But this pressure unfortunately brings out the worst in people and my boss was no exception.

She was in a difficult position with starting her own company and securing great projects to sustain her new business.

The pressure she carried on her shoulders hung like a thick cloud in the office on a daily basis. Whenever something didn’t work out the way she wanted, she shouted; at herself, the printer, the phone – whatever wasn’t cooperating.

Fortunately she never shouted at ME, but every day I was petrified that she would. This is what caused my anxiety to rage out of control, keeping me lying awake every night, completely unable to sleep – for up to 3 nights in a row. And so I had to go on medication to help me cope.

I remember it so vividly; crying while swallowing my anti-depressants, thinking… I’m only 24. Is this going to be my whole future?? I used to be happy and enjoy life. How did I get here?”

I was completely stuck. And I didn’t feel like I could go on like this for another 40 years. I was only at the 6 month mark now!

Looking back I realize it was my boss’s first experience having an employee so she didn’t necessarily know how to interact with me or how to be a good boss.

She was incredibly hard on herself and that completely dominated the office environment every day.

My negative first job experience as an Architectural technologist is not necessarily the rule for every architecture firm, but come on, it’s not exactly a low-stress job or industry. PLUS, I’m a softie! And that’s not “weak” or “bad”, but just different.

 

I basically had to choose:

High pressure job with secure income and meds, or low pressure job with more risk and without meds.

I chose the latter.

And it’s BAFFLING to me how the first option has become “normal”?

I decided to take the road less traveled – with less prestige and less security, BUT also with less (in fact NO) meds.

I had baked after hours to keep me sane while I was working in Architecture and like you, perhaps, I dreamed of baking at home…

Baking at my own pace, surrounded with beautiful aromas and the calm of home.

But I had NO training or any idea how to start a business or if anyone would even PAY for my goods!
But I gave it my all, educated myself through books and constant practice and my Home Bakery steadily grew into a full time Home Bakery Business (YES, I’m still baking).

And also a Home Bakery Blog so that I can support you in your Home Bakery goals!

I’m BEYOND GRATEFUL that I took this road.

And in the process I learned that WE HAVE THE CHOICE to remove ourselves from abusive situations… Be it work or relationships. We always have a choice – if we are open to it.

 

Discover all the incredible effects a Home Bakery has on your life - and some are totally unexpected! It's helped me to leave behind my anxiety meds, heal my confidence and SO MUCH MORE. Click through to discover how starting a Home Bakery Business can change your life. #homebakery #cakebusiness #bakingbusiness

 

7. My Business has Connected me With Others in Unexpected Ways

Wow. This is a big one…

Most of my life I’ve felt misunderstood – it happens to so many creatives.

I didn’t (and couldn’t) follow the traditional path of studying and working my way up in a prestigious job.

So many family members and friends were really awkward about me baking from home. They thought I was “capable of so much more”.

My husband, late sister and cousins were always SUPER SUPPORTIVE!! And they mean the world to me.

And although they were always supportive and eager to help at Markets, Events, etc. – I wasn’t able to share my PASSION for home baking with anyone.

That is, until I finally started an Instagram account…

I never realized HOW MANY dear, amazing home bakers there are right around the world!

Connecting with all of you on Instagram has literally changed my life and I’m so grateful to now have friends who’s hearts are also made of butter.

And honestly – I never feel lonely or misunderstood anymore. And it’s all thanks to all my baking friends on Instagram! Love you guys!

 

8. Baking Lets Me Express My Creativity

Back when I was working as an Architectural Technologist, the only day I got excited was Thursdays because Thursdays it was “Cupcake Night”! I baked after work, late into the night and LOVED every second of it!!

MANY of my University friends that have remained in Architecture often express how the REALITY of working as an Architect is so much different than the IDEA we were presented with while we were studying.

In our studies we could go crazy with our creativity! But in the REAL world, it isn’t like that at all. Your creativity hardly ever gets expressed – especially when you’re starting out.

What’s also been awesome in this journey is that you get to be creative in MANY different areas, not just in your baking. This includes graphic design, website design and food photography!

All of them are so fun and definitely satisfy my need to be creative in my work.

I’m just SO THANKFUL that I have been in a work setup where I get to be as creative as I want to be. My Home Bakery Business is a platform for my creativity – what a blessing and JOY!

RELATED: 6 Ways to Restore Your Baking Inspiration

 

9. My Work Environment Smells INSANELY Amazing

There are so many creative careers out there, BUT there are very few that smell like Butter, Cinnamon, Chocolate, Berries, Caramel… Wow, let me stop and wipe the drool off my keyboard!

Geez we are SO LUCKY to do work that smells so incredible!! Smells are therapeutic man. Working in such an environment every day does something to your happiness.

I’m quite convinced that my bones smell like cinnamon rolls by now. And that’s why I have little dance parties while I bake J

 

10. My Skills & Experience have Grown Like CRAZY!

I was under the impression that I would just BAKE in my Baking Business and therefore only grow my BAKING skills. Wow – I was so naïve!

You see, what most bakers don’t realize about Starting a Home Bakery is that they are willingly stepping into the BUSINESS WORLD. We’re not just bakers anymore! When we don’t learn how to become GREAT businesswomen/men, we stunt the growth of our Home Bakeries.

So I have learned WAAAAYYYYYY MORE skills than I bargained for (once I stopped being stubborn and whiny and finally became TEACHABLE) – and I’m so grateful!!

I’ve learned all the following skills since I started my Home Bakery:

Marketing

Sales

Food Photography

Social Media Strategy

Brand Strategy

Website Design

Copywriting

Graphic Design

Management

Business Mindsets

People Skills

And of course my Basking Skills have also grown massively!

RELATED: 4 MYTHS That are Delaying You from Starting a Home Bakery Business

 

When we don’t have money to employ pro’s to do all these things FOR us in our business, we inevitably need to LEARN how to do it ourselves! And I honestly see that as an INCREDIBLE opportunity!

Other businesses (outside the world of baking) started approaching me a while back to help with their Brand Strategy, Website Design and Marketing – SO RAD!

So yes, starting ANY Business is an opportunity to dive in and become excellent at a whole range of new and INCREDIBLY VALUABLE skills. I got way more than I bargained for and my skillset has grown way beyond anything I ever imagined was possible.

 

11. Starting My Business has Helped Me to Discover Who I REALLY am

I guess this one ties in a lot with point number 4 (My Baking Business has helped to heal my confidence).

When you start any business, whatever is going on inside you WILL come out.

So just as much as it is an uncomfortable process of growth, it’s also incredible to see all the AMAZING things that were was hiding inside you – often your entire life!

I’ve discovered that I can be confident in my baking abilities for what they really ARE – a talent from God that truly makes a difference in people’s lives and brings them joy.

In the process of embracing this talent, my desires to please people (instead of expressing my creativity) started to fall off me.

Slowly, but surely my own style started to emerge. Who knew I had a style?!? I still find it hilarious, but also awesome!

 

I discovered that I do actually have a voice… And that’s it’s a valuable and interesting voice. Yours is too. I’m 100% convinced of it.

Through being exposed to (and learning) so many different skills in growing my Baking Business, I’ve discovered many other hidden talents I never knew I had! And they are also part of me.

We all have so many hidden talents – many of which might never see the light of day – but starting a business has done the inevitable…

It has crushed me (in a GREAT way) and refined me so that everything that was false and oppressive could fall off me.

This gradually uncovered the TRUE Aurelia and I just feel so free, humbled, grateful and excited!

Starting a Home Bakery has Changed My Life.

Forever.

If I had to do it all over again, I would.

Lamentations 3:23 -24: “Because of the LORD’s loving devotion we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness!”

 

And that concludes my story 🙂 Feels good to have finally written it down!

If you have any fears or doubts about Starting a Home Bakery Business, I’d love to help. Share your thoughts below in the comments section.

Got a question? Something to add? Let’s chat in the comments section down below! (I respond to every single comment)

5 Tips to Save Money in Your Home Bakery

5 Tips to Save Money in Your Home Bakery

5 Tips to Save Money in Your Home Bakery

Home Bakers aren’t exactly loaded, are we? More often than not, we are resourceful women looking to make an extra income while we stay at home and take care of our families on a super tight budget.

When I started my home baking business back in 2012 I had almost nothing. I had a $10 hand mixer, 2 cheap plastic hand-me-down mixing bowls, 1 square tin and 1 muffin/cupcake tin (and a $5500 student loan to pay off, lol!). That’s it! That’s all you need.

I completely understand how daunting it can be to build up a home bakery on a super tight budget, so I’ve put together 5 tips to save money in your home bakery without compromising on the quality of your bakes.

Even though my business and finances are stable now, I still use all 5 of these money saving tips in my home bakery – because saving money is so much funnnn!

Saving money literally makes me giddy. My husband thinks that’s weird, but I’m having a great time 😀

 

1. Create Recipes with Left Overs

“Waste not, want not” will ALWAYS be one of the most valuable phrases known to man. When I watch cooking and baking shows I always cringe when they leave like 10% of the batter in the bowl… I don’t get why anyone would do that and it upsets me deeply.

Or sometimes people crack eggs into the bowl so fast that lots of the white never makes it into the bowl and gets flung into the trash! So painful for me to watch.

My close friends and family know me as “Miss Frugal”, but I seriously don’t mind because I have saved $100’s of dollars by being so fugal. So, Boom!

When I started baking from home I mostly made cupcakes and brownies. The cupcakes were selling super well at coffee shops – yay!

But cupcakes require frosting and now my frugal nature was faced with a massive problem…

I’m sure you know full well that you always have to make more frosting than what you actually end up using, so you always end up with left over frosting.

Desperate to not waste the excess of my ultimate cream cheese frosting, I always scooped the left overs into a bowl and put it in the freezer. After accumulating about a litre of this left over frozen frosting, the time had come to do something with it.

I had heard about Pumpkin & Cream cheese muffins and decided to try using my left over frozen frosting as the filling since it is about 60% cream cheese anyway.

The result was spectacular!! 5 years later I still sell 100 of these Pumpkin & Cream Cheese muffins every week – the customers call them “crack muffins”! And the best part is that all my left over frosting does not go to waste!

Sofra Bakery in Cambridge, Massachusetts has created “morning buns” from their left over croissants.

They cut up the croissants in cubes, bake them with custard (like bread pudding) and brush them with an orange blossom glaze. Genius!

Almost every breakfast joint has their version of French toast. We all LOVE French toast, but when you think about it, it is nothing more than a left over recipe! It was a way to use up stale bread and not wasting it.

Some of the best recipes are ones where people had to get creative and prevent waste. I’m confident that you can do the same 🙂

Build your home bakery on a super tight budget with these 5 tips to save money in your home bakery - without compromising on the quality of your bakes. Even though my business and finances are stable now, I still use all 5 of these money saving tips in my home bakery - because saving money is so much funnnn! #homebakery #homebusiness #cakebusiness #bakingbusiness

 

2. DIY it Baby!

It’s quite shocking how much money you can save by making things yourself – especially when it comes to ingredients.

Shocking as it may seem, the last time I bought icing sugar was 3 years ago. Icing sugar is expensive. It costs 250% more than regular granulated sugar.

There had to be a way around buying this expensive ingredient that doesn’t exactly contribute to a “better flavour” or anything.

I decided to buy a Nutribullet (high speed food processor). Sure, it cost me $150, but I’ve already made up that difference AGES ago.

Making my own icing sugar (oat flour, almond flour, hummus, peanut butter, smoothies, and more) has saved me heaps of money.

Another way I love to save money is by making my own muffin & cupcake liners from baking parchment. Fluted cupcake liners are really inexpensive, but they make muffins look smaller and less rustic.

I was keen to buy muffin liners (they look more handmade, with 4 little “ears” on top), but they costed like $0,12 each – that adds up super fast!

Instead of spending that money, I rather figured out how to make my own muffin liners in mere minutes for just $0,01 each. I sell 100 muffins a week, so added up, that’s a $11 weekly saving. For me, that’s worth it.

And then one of my favourite money saving tips involves my Home Bakery’s Packaging.

Beautiful, expensive branding and packaging can be a very tempting expense. But if a wrapper is beautiful and the candy tastes bad, will you ever buy it again? No.

So do not spend hundreds of dollars on printing amazing packaging. Just go for simple packaging to start off with.

You can seriously get away with 50 cents per cake box. To add a personal touch, get a logo stamp made for the small price of $15. It looks super rustic and cool and it is way cheaper.

 

3. Buy Ingredients from the Right Suppliers

Source ingredients in bulk or from direct suppliers wherever you can. When you cut out middle men, you eliminate all those extra mark ups you pay for in the grocery store.

For example, I used to buy all my cocoa powder, chocolate, frozen berries (and so much more!!) in the grocery store, which was super expensive.

I eventually found a supplying company with super high quality products that sell ingredients even to small businesses like home bakeries.

Now I save like 40% in ingredient costs WITHOUT COMPROMISING ON THE QUALITY OF MY INGREDIENTS! So rad!

I also went directly to a local chocolaterie and buy 1 kg blocks of chocolate from them.

This way I get to support a local business, get higher quality chocolate AND pay less for it than in the grocery store because I buy it in bulk.

Such a win-win-win!

 

4. Invest in Tools that Increase your Productivity

The one thing that is just as important as saving money is saving TIME. If you can save time then you will have more time to bake things to sell for profit.

Learning to work faster is important, but you can also invest in tools that will make your baking process faster like stencils, cookie cutters, a food processor, etc.

And then there is a “tool” of sorts that is FREE… It is my favourite productivity booster! And it is simply to do things in bulk wherever it’s possible.

If I make 10 of my Pumpkin & Cream Cheese muffins at a time with all of their DIY components (liners, filling, crumble, dry ingredients, and more) from start to finish, it will take me 2 whole hours I reckon!

But by making 100’s of muffin liners at a time, making my filling a few litres at a time, sifting ALL my dry ingredients for the day and putting them in labelled baggies and more, I save SO MUCH time.

Doing things in bulk will streamline your productivity and business like crazy.

5 Amazing Tips to Save Money in your Home Bakery without compromising on the quality of your baked goods! Building a Home Bakery does not have to be expensive. Click through to learn how you can save money where it counts. #homebakery #cakebusiness #bakingbusiness #cupcakebusiness

 

5. Increase Your Profit

One of the biggest mistakes I made in my Home Bakery (for 3 long years) was being so set on saving money that I did not INVEST my money in making more profit in the future.

I know it feels great to save money – trust me, I am known as “Miss Frugal” among my friends and family! But honestly, making money is even better than saving money… NEVER forget this.

MAKING money is better than SAVING money.

Making financial INVESTMENTS to increase your profit is better than saving money.

 

Here’s an example from my own Home Bakery Journey:

In the name of “saving money”, I refused to employ someone to wash dishes and clean for me for the first 18 months of my Home Bakery’s start up.

Now, I feel so stupid for not doing it sooner! I always made the excuse that “there’s no way I can afford to employ someone to clean!”

What I didn’t realise is that doing so would free up more time and energy for me to do more of what actually makes money – BAKE.

Since I’ve made the investment of employing Jane to clean twice a week, I’ve been able to increase my baking profits by 30%!

It’s the BAKING that brings in profit, so free up your time so that you can spend more time BAKING.

I’ve also trained Jane to do prep work for me. This includes chopping chocolate, grating carrots, slicing apples, etc. These super exhausting and time consuming tasks can easily be taught to someone else. It’s wonderful!

Easy, delegate-able tasks include: all cleaning and prep work. Later on you can expand to deliveries, errands, etc.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this post! Which money saving tip is your favourite? Are there any other things you’ve done to save money in your Home Bakery Business? Let me know in the comments below.

Chat soon

Aurelia 🙂

POPULAR BAKING BIZ TIPS

Want to start a Home Bakery Business? Or maybe you have a business but you want more customers and consistent orders? Here's a free library full of resources, tips, tools, secret recipes and ideas to grow your Home Baking Business. Click through to access the free library! #homebakery #homebaking #bakingbusiness #cakebusiness
You absolutely DO NOT need to make fondant cakes to have a successful Home Bakery Business! Learn how I've been baking, full-time, for 6 years without EVER touching fondant! Click to learn how you can do it too... #homebakery #bakingbusiness #cakebusiness #homebaking #baking
One of the BEST ways to make your home bakery business stand out from your competition, is to pick a business name that actually attracts customers! In this post you'll get a behind the scenes look at what customers look for in a business name. You'll finally understand which types of business names attract them to a baking business, and which types of names put them off or bore them. Click the post to get the tips now! #homebakery #bakingbusiness #businessname #baking #homebaking

POPULAR BAKING TIPS

Don't throw out your split chocolate ganache! You can save it and make is 100% smooth & shiny! :D Click through for all the tips you need to fix and prevent split/oily/grainy chocolate ganache. #chocolateganache #splitganache #bakingtips #bakingtipsandtricks
Want to get that thin, super shiny crust on top of your brownies? Great news is, you don't need to drop your favourite brownie recipe in search of a shiny-top brownie recipe! You can use this simple baking tip to get a shiny crust on ANY brownie recipe that contains dairy and sugar! Click through to get the step by step method for baking brownies with a shiny crust on top... #baking #bakingtips #brownies #homebaking #bakingtipsandtricks

POPULAR POSTS

How much income is your home bakery missing out on every month because you keep undercharging for your baking? It shouldn't be this way! You deserve to be paid well for your hard work! In this post you'll learn how to stop feeling guilty for charging customers full price. Then you'll get step-by-step tips for raising your prices so you can start earning more income from your home baking :) #homebakery #homebakerypricing #cakebusiness #homebakingbusiness
Struggling to find time for yourself and your family in your home bakery business? These AMAZING time management tips from a 6+ years full-time home baker are exactly what you need! Learn how to use what you've got to get your baking done faster. Learn how to prioritize and plan effectively so you are in charge of your schedule, make a great profit, and don't burn out in the process! #homebaking #homebakery #athomebakery #cakebusiness #cupcakebusiness
How do you price home baking? What if you charge too little for your home baking and don't make enough income? What if your home baking's prices are too high and no customers want to buy from you? In this post you'll learn how to do your baked goods pricing the RIGHT way, so you can make more profit and even turn home baking into your career! #homebakery #bakerypricing #bakingbusiness #cakebusiness

Do you dream of starting a home bakery, but then thoughts of self-doubt like these start flooding your mind… “People aren’t going to think my baking is worth it. All the other bakers are better than me. I’m not good enough.” Truth is pretty much ALL home bakers get these thoughts! You’re not alone! In this post you’ll learn how to beat self doubt so you can be free to pursue your baking business goals. Click through to get the tips now… #homebaking #selfdoubt #homebakery #bakingbusiness #baking

Got a question? Something to add? Let’s chat in the comments section down below! (I respond to every single comment)