Home Bakery Day Links

Home Bakery Day Links

Home Bakery Day Links

Hey baking friend!

If you’re here for the Home Bakery Day Links, then go ahead and scroll on down to get them 😊

But if you’re new here and don’t know what “Home Bakery Day” is, here’s how it works:

On my Instagram Account, I often give an opportunity (every other Wednesday @5pm CAT time) for home bakers like you to ask me whatever questions they want about how to create a successful Home Bakery Business. And people often ask me baking questions too, which is awesome!

In my answers I often refer people to blog posts that I and other bakers wrote because sometimes a question requires a bit more than a 5 minute response. This post is a Library (of sorts) with alllll of those links I tell you about throughout Home Bakery Day.

I like to share my knowledge and experience with Home Bakers like you, because I know how hard it is to feel stuck in your baking journey – with no one to turn to! Let’s save you some frustration, exhaustion and tears. Let’s get you closer to that success you’re working so hard for.

xxx

Aurelia

 

Here are your Home Bakery Day Links:

📚 Here’s the link to join my Free Resource Library (with the pricing calculator, free guides, secret recipes & templates).

PRICING RELATED LINKS:

💰 6 Steps for Pricing Your Home Baking with Confidence.
💰 How to use the Pricing Calculator (Video).
💰 How to Raise Your Prices.

BUSINESS RELATED:

🧁 The Ultimate Guide to Starting a Home Bakery Business.
🧁 How to Deal with Difficult/Dissatisfied Clients.
🧁 How to Get Client Testimonials.
🧁 Home Bakery Certificates and the Licensing & Inspection Process.
🧁 How to Choose a Great Business Name.
🧁 Do You Have What it Takes to Open a Storefront Bakery? (Interview with Tina McJunkin).
🧁 4 Lies Home Bakers Believe about Opening a Storefront Bakery (Interview with Tina McJunkin).
🧁 How to Plan Your Work Schedule.
🧁 Time Management – How to Get Your Baking Done Faster.
🧁 How to create a Home Bakery Business Plan.
🧁 Create Your Own Website on Wix (it’s suuuper easy to use and cheap!)
🧁 Books that have Saved & Transformed my Home Bakery.
🧁 5 Things You Must Know before Selling at Food Markets.
🧁 BEST Book for Scaling your Business & Employing Staff – The E-myth Revisited by Michael Gerber.

MARKETING RELATED:

🚀 The 4 Essentials of Home Bakery Marketing.
🚀 How to Get More Exposure & Promote Your Business.
🚀 BEST Marketing Book – Building a Storybrand by Donald Miller.

PHILOSOPHY OF YUM ONLINE COURSES:

🎓 All my Home Bakery Courses (to help you get consistent orders and add flare to your baking).
🎓 Check out the Confident Pricing & Profit Kit (get my pricing & bookkeeping templates to get you more income with less stress).
🎓 Join the Wait List for Home Bakery PRO.

BAKING TIPS:

🍪 How to Bake Perfectly Flat Cake Layers Without Domes.
🍪 How to Stabilize Whipped Cream.
🍪 14 Tools & Appliances You Need to Start a Home Bakery.
🍪 Hand Mixer Shopping Guide – 6 Things to Consider.
🍪 Ultimate Guide to baking a perfect cheesecake (no cracking or sinking!)
🍪 How to Do a Perfect Caramel Drip on Cakes.
🍪 My favourite Cookie scoop.
🍪 How to Find Your Own Baking Style.
🍪 Tips for High altitude baking.
🍪 When a bake flops there are always reasons WHY. How to Avoid a Soggy Bottom answers a whopping 150 essential baking questions!

MY RECIPES/TUTORIALS:

🍰 My Ultimate Vanilla Frosting (no butter).
🍰 Frosting Piping 101.
🍰 My Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake Recipe.
🍰 My Perfect Baked Vanilla Cheesecake Recipe.
🍰 How to Make Gorgeous Chocolate Shavings (they taste GREAT and make your bakes look more valuable so you can charge more!)
🍰 How to Make White Chocolate Curls
🍰 My Gluten Free Cake Flour Blend Recipe.
🍰 How to Bake Perfect Cupcakes (Troubleshooting).
🍰 How to Bake Perfect Cupcakes (Advanced Tips).
🍰 How to Get a Shiny Crust on Your Brownies.
🍰 How to Fix Split/Grainy/Oily/Broken Ganache.
🍰 How to Write on Cakes Without Free-Handing.
🍰 The Easy, Foolproof Way to Temper Chocolate.

MINDSET RELATED:

💡 How to Deal with Self-Doubt in Your Home Bakery.
💡 How to Overcome the Fear of Failure.
💡 How to Stay Inspired & Motivated on Your Home Bakery Journey.
💡 How to Know When You’re Ready to Start a Home Bakery.

That’s all of them! If I accidentally missed one, please let me know in the comments below.

Join me every other Tuesday on my Instagram Account, for Home Bakery Day to get your Home Bakery questions answered! I answer the questions LIVE on Instagram every other Tuesday @5pm CAT time.

Hope to see you there! 🙂

Got a question? Something to add? Let’s chat in the comments section down below! (I respond to every single comment)

REAL Home Bakery Heroes: Tiffany from Therapie (Kansas, USA)

REAL Home Bakery Heroes: Tiffany from Therapie (Kansas, USA)

REAL Home Bakery Heroes: How Tiffany Grew Therapie into a Full-Time Home Bakery Business

Home bakers often ask me if they can be a successful home baker if they don’t bake cakes.

Without hesitation, I always answer with a big fat YES! And one of the main reasons why, is because of Tiffany and her Home Bakery – Therapie.

Her Home Bakery focuses completely on making pies. EPIC pies.

And the first time I saw one of Tiffany’s pies I wanted to face-plant into it… with ZERO shame!

The PIES look incredible…

A golden buttery crust filled with the most heavenly fillings:

Flakey Brookie Pie (a brownie and choc chip cookie pie. I mean… WOW)
Grandma’s Apple Pie
Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie
Banana Cream Pie
Greek Honey Pie
Cookie Dough Cream Pie

Are you drooling yet?!

Not to mention, she has the cutest son in the history of mankind!

But one of the things I love most about Tiffany is that she understands the VITAL role baked goods play in people’s lives.

The human heart NEEDS baked goods. It does something to help give us perspective and comfort in difficult times. Home Baked goods are like therapy for our souls.

And that’s why I’m so honoured and excited to share this interview with you today!

Therapie embodies the message of DELICIOUS, COMFORTING Home Baking to me. She’s a REAL Home Bakery Hero!

She’s also one of my STAR students in my online course Home Bakery Startup 🙂

I’m confident that her story will comfort you, excite you and above all – inspire you.

Here we go!

 

For those who don’t know you; who are you, where do you live and what do you do?

My name is Tiffany Oppelt. I live in Kansas, United States. No, I don’t know Dorothy, but I do know there’s “no place like home” (Wizard of Oz joke). I am the owner and official pie lady of TheraPie, a licensed pie home-bakery in Manhattan, KS.

 

Where did you grow up and what were your childhood experiences of cakes, desserts, and baking?

I moved around a few states in the Midwest, but home was always near my Great Grandparents farm in Southeast, KS. As a young girl, probably starting around 6 years old, I would always ask to help in the kitchen.

I come from a family of amazing cooks (on both sides) and my Aunt and Grandma on stepmom’s side were crazy good bakers.

I spent a lot of time with them and LOVED being able to learn from them. We baked a little bit of everything really and had weekly family dinners on Sunday. We were a very close-knit family with a love of food.

 

Who first exposed you to baking?

My Aunt Karen and my Grandma Thera first exposed me to baking. My stepmom refused to bake because her mom and her sister were such talented bakers that she didn’t feel the need to learn. So, I went to them.

It started as doing little tasks and watching, then it was doing all the prep work like slicing apples and peaches and cracking pecans from our pecan tree. Then, they taught me how to take the reins and showed me what they knew.

 

What were your school years like; how did you feel about yourself, about life and about other kids?

Kindergarten through 8th grade (pre-high school) were all very hard for me. I came from a split home and experienced a lot of trauma as a child, and it left me feeling unworthy. We moved every year or two, so I went to so many different schools. I was very smart, but quiet and would turn red and cry when I had to speak in front of the class.

I was bullied quite a bit in 4th-6th grade. I never felt like I was “good enough” to be liked.

Of course, I had a small handful of REALLY good friends and they helped me through. When we moved to Parsons, KS to buy the family farm right before my 8th grade year. My parents said it would be the last move until I graduated from high school.

I decided that a new town that I would stay at for 5 years was the time to stop being scared and just be me. I tried out for a musical (my parents’ jaws hit the floor when I came home to tell them I’d done that) and got a leading role in Annie; I was Miss Hannigan. I was introduced to some nice girls and quickly made friends.

I took debate and forensics (acting/public speaking) and quickly found that I was good in front of an audience when I had control of the situation. I was State Champion in humorous and dramatic interpretation and went to Nationals twice in more than one category. I was “weird” but also made friends easily and was friends with everyone. I was in the “popular crowd”, but I made a point to sit with and be friends with the unpopular or “special needs” crowd.

I started to grow into myself in high school, even though I went through a lot of family/personal struggles during those years.


Did you always plan to be a baker, or did you have other career plans at first?

I did not always plan to be a baker. I always planned to have a career centered on Hospitality and food and imagined I would have my own Bed & Breakfast somewhere beautiful.

 

Do you have any baking or business qualifications from a college or university?

I have a Bachelor of Science in Hotel, Restaurant Management and Institutional Dietetics (Hospitality Management) and a minor in Business. During college, I spent a semester in Florence, Italy studying culinary arts and eating my way through 7 countries.

Not all of it was focused on baking, but it was all focused on food. It was the most incredible four months!

 

What happened that made you consider baking for a living? What was that “oh wow! I could DO this!” moment for you?

I’ve always wanted to own my own business (Bed & Breakfast was the goal). In 2018, I started baking pies as a form of therapy.

I was under a lot of stress at work, and it just felt good making pie and being in the kitchen. When I started, I just couldn’t stop.

I started with Grandma’s Apple Pie (still on the menu) and then started following every pie person I could find online, watching videos, reading cookbooks and just experimenting.

As I was posting pictures and giving pies away to neighbors and friends, I started to have people ask me if I sell them and it hit me like a ton of bricks…yes, I could sell pies.

RELATED: 4 Myths About Starting Your Own Home Bakery Business

 

How did Therapie start?

TheraPie actually started out being called “Pies by Tiffany”. It started in my home kitchen, a pie or two at a time with a max of about 10 pies a week when I was “SUPER busy”. During that time, I was baking and doing EVERYTHING in my power to prepare myself to start turning it into a functional business.

In my head, I had two different options, moving into a brick & mortar or figuring out a way to be able to do it from home.

The challenge that I faced was the cost of renting commercial spaces in this town and needing to be fully licensed for cold pies. I toured so many different spaces. I talked to our local Small Business Development liaison at the Chamber of Commerce and started working to develop my business plan. Then I worked directly with the Department of Agriculture Food Safety Department. I also did a lot of research of other business models of people that I followed online or knew in person.

RELATED: The Ultimate Guide to Starting Your Own Home Bakery

This was also the point that I started taking the Home Bakery Startup course with Aurelia, because I found that several of the places that I wanted to talk to about their experiences, either didn’t have time to talk or didn’t want to give me insider knowledge.

When I saw everything her course included, I saw the value in it.

I did all of these things while working about 50 hours a week and being a mom of a 2 year old. During that time, I did a lot of thinking (basically 24/7) about pies and what I wanted my brand to encompass.

The business name I operate under currently came to me while I was at the sink doing dishes at 9pm. It was an epiphany moment, and it was perfect.

 

Were you scared to start your baking business and how did you deal with that?

Yes. I was absolutely terrified of starting and failing.

Aurelia and the group of Home Bakers were great at helping me stay motivated and believe that I could. I felt like it was a safe spot to voice my fears and know that I’m not alone in feeling that way.

I’ve had a lifelong belief that I’m not worthy and being in a spot where I was claiming to be “the pie lady” in town was scary. What if there were better pie makers out there?

 

How did your family and friends respond to your desire to bake for a living? And how did you deal with that?

Part of my family didn’t believe that I’d make it into a business and firmly believed that I needed to keep my job at Kansas State University as it was very stable and had great benefits.

My parents believed I could do it, but were worried about me taking on too much with my other job and being a wife/mom. My husband was happy that I was excited about it, but didn’t want it to take over our lives and was worried that it would come before him and my son.

I had a lot of really hard conversations during this time. I had a lot of self-doubt. I also had a huge determination to make it happen, so just kept moving.

 

What were the first bakes you ever sold? To whom did you sell them?

My church put in the first order of 5 pies for a luncheon they were holding within the Diocese. They posted a positive review on my Facebook. After that, I had neighbors and friends of friends starting to purchase them.

 

How did you feel once you made your first sale? And how did it influence your life & plans?

I felt triumphant.

Like I could definitely do it long term, but also that I still had a lot of things to figure out. It pushed me to find focus in all the different areas of my planning/dreaming mind for the business.

 

Did you ever feel any pressure or expectations to bake something other than pies, like fancy wedding cakes? How did you deal with that?

Yes. I was asked so many times to do items that weren’t on my menu.

Aurelia helped with the wording of how to encourage them to visit other bakers that I know and trust for those items. We have SO many talented bakers in our town, so if someone wants a pretty cake, I have a name for them.

I told them that even though “I can” bake other things, pies is where my passion and expertise is focused.

 

How did you grow your baking skills the level you’re at now?

PRACTICE practice PRACTICE.

AND….reading cookbooks, watching online tutorials, following bakers who are more experienced than I am. All these things were extremely helpful in me growing as a baker. I still grow, with every item I make.

 

How long did it take before you could bake full-time?

It took between a year and a half and two years to be able to get to a point where I could bake full time. During the middle of that, we moved into a new home specifically to build a commercial kitchen.

We were able to have done our homework enough that we got it done in about 4 months (talk about a messy and expensive project!), ending with a license as a food establishment and food processor.

The transitioning to a full-time home baker was something I wasn’t sure if I would ever get to, and then, it happened faster than I had planned.

 

Which books, podcasts or online courses helped most to grow you as a business owner? And how did they help you?

I am a constant learner and am always trying to improve myself. Aurelia’s Home Bakery Startup course was the most helpful resource.

There have also been many other things that I listen to when I need inspiration as a woman owned business including these podcasts: The Mindset Mentor, Biz Chix, and Being Boss by Emily Thompson.

I also attended an entrepreneur workshop designed for women that was hosted by the Small Business Association and it was a great class.

All of these resources helped me for different reasons, but a lot were about confidence in myself, how to overcome fear, how to deal with competition and how to be a successful businesswoman. I will also mention that I have a degree in Hospitality Management with a minor in business!

 

What are the 2 best decisions you’ve made in your Baking Business?

To capitalize on word-of-mouth marketing,
and to strongly identify my brand.

RELATED: The 4 Essentials of Home Bakery Marketing

 

What are the 2 worst mistakes you’ve made in your Baking Business?

1. Saying yes to too much to the point of overwhelm,
2. and letting competition make me feel weak/small/less than.

RELATED: How to Deal With Self-Doubt in Your Home Bakery

 

What are the 2 most valuable lessons you’ve learned about running a home bakery?

1. You don’t have to be the biggest fish in the sea with an established brick and mortar to establish yourself as an expert in your craft.

2. If you are overwhelmed, your systems need evaluated and you need to consider hiring.

Want to make home baking your career? So did Tiffany! In this post she shares a behind-the-scenes look of HOW she created a full-time Home Bakery Business selling pies! Starting your own Home Bakery and baking for a living (without formal qualifications) is totally possible. Read Tiffany's story now... #homebaking #baking #homebakery #pies #bakingbusiness

 

What are the 2 most valuable lessons you’ve learned about yourself in this process?

I’ve learned that I can absolutely do very hard things,
and that sharing who I am is part of my brand.

 

What are the 2 most valuable lessons you’ve learned about people/clients in this process?

1. Clients will always ask and take chances because they won’t know how your business works unless you tell them clearly. And if they know you always say yes, they’ll especially take chances. 2. AND if they aren’t functioning in a way that works for your business, you just have to put systems in place to communicate better; make your rules clear on your site and say it in person.

 

What are your plans & dreams for Therapie going forward?

I would like to figure out shipping because there is a demand for it in my business, but I’m not rushing with the way our post is running right now.

I would also like to host pie making workshops with licensed therapists/counselors talking about the therapeutic side of cooking/baking to tie in my knowledge, my community, and the focus on mental health.

I would like to continue growing and have some form of a store front at some point, but not necessarily a full-on bakery, but more of a place to gather to pickup/enjoy.

HOWEVER, I am actually a lot less hardcore about getting a brick & mortar since I have wholesale accounts putting me in various locations of town (2 coffee shops and 1 full service restaurant) and the farmer’s market.

This Home Bakery model is working VERY well for myself and my family.

 

What advice would you give to anyone who wants to start a Home Bakery, but feels they aren’t “good enough”?

The only person who can decide if you aren’t good enough, is you.

There will be more than one time in your journey that you are going to doubt it and let those negative thoughts deter your growth, but that’s just your thoughts and you 100% are good enough.

You do not have to be perfect and have a flawless Instagram feed with perfect lighting. You need a good product, good branding and a good mindset and a good work ethic. If you have those things, you can ABSOLUTELY do this.

 

Wasn’t that just AMAZING? Don’t know about you, but I feel super inspired now!

If you’re lucky enough to live in Kansas, you can order from Tiffany though her Therapie website. And if you want to show her some love, follow her journey on Therapie’s Instagram Account.

🌟 And if you’re a home baker that would love to built a part-time or full-time Home Bakery Business like Tiffany, then check out the Home Bakery Startup course that shows you how to do it! The course opens in May & November every year 🙂

What was the most valuable thing you’ve learned from Tiffany’s story? Tell me in the comments below!

Aurelia 🙂

How to STOP Undercharging and Raise Your Baking Prices

How to STOP Undercharging and Raise Your Baking Prices

How to STOP Undercharging and Raise Your Baking Prices

Have you been thinking about raising the prices of your delicious home baked goods?

Maybe you’re here because you’ve been struggling to make a profit in your home baking business.

You’re working SUPER hard and you’re baking practically every day of the week.

You say no to 9/10 social gatherings because you always have baking that needs to get done.

You’re up early every morning and working late every other night.

While your family is barbequing outside, you’re in the kitchen baking orders for tomorrow.

Then you look at your financials at the end of the month and see that you’re STILL earning small change. Despite all that effort and sacrifice! 😒 How is this possible?! 

My friend, I know exactly how you feel because I’ve been there.

If your Home Bakery has enough clients and orders to keep you this busy in your baking, that’s awesome! Congrats to you!

But for a business to succeed and be sustainable, you’re going to need more than just heaps of orders.

You’re going to need each order to be as profitable as it can be.

 

“Why Should I Raise My Prices When Customers Prefer Cheap Products?”

Be very careful how you think about pricing and customers. If it were true that all clients prefer cheap products, then companies with super expensive products (like Ferrari, Prada and Rolex) wouldn’t exist.

Truth is that all customers are NOT the same!

YOU are not your ideal client. Just because YOU wouldn’t spend a certain amount of money on baked goods, doesn’t mean all other people won’t.

All people don’t want the same things. All of them don’t have the same spending priorities as you.

People spend money on fascinating things!

My in-laws, for example, never ever eat out at a restaurant. BUT they’ve spent thousands on collecting drawers upon drawers full of DVD’s. Home entertainment is a priority for them, so that’s where they spend their money.

My husband and I were quite poor when we just got married. We slept on single mattresses on the floor during the first year of our marriage. BUT, we ate out at least once every 2 weeks – because eating delicious food is a priority for us!

All clients don’t prefer cheap products with cheap quality. Don’t fall for the assumption your mind is making.

There are thousands upon thousands of people out there who will gladly pay good money for superior products like yours.

RELATED: 6 Steps to Pricing Your Home Baking With Confidence

Have you been struggling to turn a profit in your home baking business? You’re working super hard, saying no to most social events and you’re baking practically every day of the week! Then you look at your financials at the end of the month and see that your home bakery is STILL earning small change! My friend, I know exactly how you feel because I’ve been there. You need to RAISE your home bakery's prices! Here's how to do it... #homebaking #baking #cakepricing #homebakery #bakingbusiness

 

“Isn’t it Greedy to Charge Higher Prices?”

In short, not at all. Just like plants need water to survive, businesses need money to survive.

If you want to bake as a hobby, that’s fine. But if you want to turn your baking into a business that actually gets you a salary every month, you need to charge properly.

Charging your clients decent prices is not about being “obsessed with money” or “greedy” or “milking clients” for crazy profits.

It’s just a basic fact of business. Businesses need to make money or else they die. It’s just that simple.

 

The Hamster Wheel that Doesn’t Get Your Home Bakery More Profit

Deep down we KNOW our baking business needs to make more money so we try to fix this. But we try to fix it the wrong way!

1. We so easily assume that our businesses aren’t growing because we “need more Instagram followers” for example. But it’s 100% possible to have a huge Instagram following and still not make enough money to even bake part-time!

In fact I know bakers with a following of like twenty thousand people but they are not making enough money from their baking business to do it full-time. “Popularity doesn’t pay the bills.” Jasmine Star

2. Another super popular misconception most home bakers have is that they just need MORE clients and MORE orders for their business to do well. And they think the way to achieve that is MORE advertising – resonate with this one?

But it’s a flawed and dangerous approach.

Even if you advertise and market your business and bring in more clients, your business will STILL struggle.

It doesn’t help if you have a heap of clients but you still undercharge ALL of them. That’s not a recipe for success, that’s just a recipe for burn-out.

The answer to your problems of burn-out and lack of profit isn’t getting more and more clients.

Here’s a metaphor to explain my point better…

Let’s say your success is this water tank on the right. When it’s full you’ve reached your profit goals. But YOU have to fill your success tank with water from this river on the left – which represents your potential clients & profit. The only tool you can use is a water bucket to carry profit from the river to the tank.

How to raise your home bakery's prices

When you’re undercharging your clients it’s like your water bucket has a hole in the bottom. So no matter how hard you try, loads and loads of water won’t make it to your profit tank.

And now you’ve got 2 options:

1. Run faster and faster from the river to the tank and scoop larger and larger amounts of water that you can barely carry.

OR option 2 which is to…

2. Plug the hole in your bucket!

Which option do you think is more logical? Which option is more sustainable? 

It’s to plug the hole in your bucket, right?

In the exact same way the answer to your combination of burn-out and low profit won’t be solved by working faster and scooping up more clients.

The solution to home bakery burn-out lies in charging enough for the clients that you DO have right now so that all the water you carry and all the work you do goes into your success tank and contributes to your profit & success.

Does this make sense?

How much income is your home bakery missing out on every month because you keep undercharging for your baking? It shouldn't be this way! You deserve to be paid well for your hard work! In this post you'll learn how to stop feeling guilty for charging customers full price. Then you'll get step-by-step tips for raising your prices so you can start earning more income from your home baking :) #homebakery #homebakerypricing #cakebusiness #homebakingbusiness

 

The REAL Reason You Feel Guilty to Charge Full Price

Now we get to plugging the hole in your bucket!

Here’s a REAL life story about undercharging. The story is about my friend’s mother – let’s call her Gwen. Gwen has a catering business. She’s had this business for decades now – she’s been selling her food for about twenty years and she’s a fantastic cook. 

Her food is absolutely incredible.

She takes so much care in what she does.

She deals with people extremely well, she cares about her clients.

It’s like all the boxes are ticked but here’s the thing… Her business is barely surviving and has been barely surviving for the last twenty years. She has a great product and heaps of clients so those aren’t the reasons why her business is struggling. 

The real problem is that she always undercharges.

My friend had a conversation with her mother a while back about all the discounts she gives. And as I was listening, something suddenly clicked for me about undercharging.

Gwen told her directly that she doesn’t want to charge people a lot of money. If they just tell her that her food was delicious and that they enjoyed it then that’s MORE than enough for her!

Can you relate to that? If people just tell you “Thank you so much! This cake just made my day. I appreciate it so much. It’s made my birthday spectacular. It’s the most delicious cake I’ve ever had.”

Does that positive of feedback help you to feel amazing about yourself as a person? Does it make you feel valued and treasured and like you matter?

You’re not alone! All of us feel so appreciated and valued when someone enjoys our baking. 

It’s a good thing that people appreciate your bakes. But it can turn into a problem. Let me explain why…

What if I told you that people are actually already paying you full price for your bakes but you might not necessarily be aware of it?

When you keep undercharging clients over and over again it’s because: 

Whatever people don’t pay you in money, or whatever you don’t charge them in money, you’re subconsciously expecting them to pay in validation.

That’s the truth bomb of today. I hope you understand what I’m saying here. 

Here’s an illustration to help you understand.

how to charge higher prices for your home baking

The top level is full price. Now you charge them less which is the marked level further down.

If you charge them less you think you’re making a financial choice, but the reality is that you’re subconsciously expecting them to make up this difference in validation – so that you’ll feel okay about yourself and about your business. 

I know this because I did this myself for YEARS without knowing it!

We basically charge our clients less so that they can pay us in validation to make us feel worthy. We undercharge so our clients make us feel valued, to make us feel like we are enough. 

It’s really scary, I know, but it’s the truth and you need to know this otherwise you’ll be under-charging for your baking for the rest of your life. 

But I also want you to know that it’s not your fault that you feel this way. It’s not your fault that you’re doing this. It’s incredibly normal and I did this too.

 

How to Charge Higher Prices: Step-by-Step

1. Spell out for yourself what makes you valuable as a human being.

It’s not your work (because babies are valuable even though they do zero work). It’s not people’s praise (because people are biased, flawed and lie regularly). It took me a long time to see it, but eventually God helped me realize that I’m valuable because HE loves me. Not because a client loves me.

Really take time to think about what it is that makes you valuable as a person. Once you establish this, you’ll feel way more liberty to charge the prices you’re supposed to.

2. Download the Pricing Calculator that calculates your recommended selling prices FOR you!

No need to do complicated math!

🌟 You can download the Pricing Calculator in the Free Resource Library >> click here to join the Library. If you’ve already joined the library, then open the last email I sent you and click the blue link to the Library right at the bottom of my email.

3. Read the instructions for how to use the Pricing Calculator. Then calculate the selling prices of your baked goods.

4. Update your prices! Simple as that! If the price increase is quite drastic, then you can increase your prices halfway now and the rest of the way 3 months from now.

 

“What if I Feel the Recommended Selling Price is too High?”

The most important thing you need to know about home bakery pricing is that it’s not about your feelings! I know this sounds harsh, but let me explain.

Pricing is a mathematical, LOGICAL thing. If you build a business according to your feelings, you won’t make sound business decisions.

Logically, you need to charge the prices the Pricing Calculator recommends if you have any hope of CARRYING ON with your Home Bakery. I know it’s hard! But I’ve come to understand that a successful business is built on logical decisions, not emotional ones.

If you keep undercharging and giving discounts because of your feelings, you’ll burn out OR your business will.

I HAVE SOME DEEPER QUESTIONS FOR YOU:

>> Be honest: are you pretty much working all the time? Weekends? After hours?

>> Does you take in every order you get because you feel you NEED this money for your business to survive?

>> Are you undercharging because you’re so scared that if you raise your prices, your customers will get upset and leave?

>> Are you close to burning out? Are your relationships suffering because you’re maxed out and can’t keep up with everything?

All these are symptoms of not pricing correctly.

If you raised your hand to any of these symptoms, then the “Confident Pricing & Profit Kit” is the perfect fit for you! The Confident Pricing & Profit Kit is an online course for home bakers that takes the stress out of Home Bakery Pricing & Bookkeeping with done-for-you templates and systems.

👉 Click here to check out the Confident Pricing & Profit Kit

Frustrated that you're baking 24/7 and still not earning enough money in your home bakery? I know exactly how you feel! The solution is to raise your prices. I know you might feel too guilty or awkward to charge higher prices for your baking, so let me show you how to raise your prices step-by-step! Click through to learn how... #baking #homebaking #cakepricing #homebakery #bakingbusiness

 

What if a Client Complains About Your Prices?

If a client complains about your prices, then they are simply NOT your ideal client.

Truth is there will absolutely be clients who aren’t a good fit for your home bakery – and that’s ok! You don’t need everyone to like your business in order to be successful!

Handmade, homemade baked goods are luxury items and extremely valuable. Clients get something that’s made FRESH, just for them with top quality ingredients. It’s not a week old and with cheap ingredients like in the grocery store! 

Even though there’s a huge market for this HIGH QUALITY type of home baking, it’s not for everyone – especially not “budget clients”. I’m sure you’ve encountered budget clients before!

If someone complains about your prices, you can politely refer them to the cheap, semi-stale stuff you find in the grocery store’s baking section.

How you determine your prices is none of your client’s business.

Do these clients do the same thing when they go to restaurants?… “Excuse me KFC cashier, but that cook of yours back there has a trainee badge and is new to the cooking scene. So, I’m only going to pay half for my order.”

No! It’s not even an option at ANY restaurant.

YOUR PRICES ARE YOUR PRICES. It’s not your job to “convince” clients that your prices are fair. Don’t take the bait! If they doubt your prices or complain, politely refer them to the grocery store’s baking section.

You can use this script:

“Hi NAME 🙂 I would have loved to bake for you, but unfortunately my prices are my prices. Every item is handmade with high quality ingredients and care. These things are very important in my business and cost a lot to keep going. If you’d like something more affordable, I highly recommend [local commercial bakery/grocery store]. I hope your event is wonderful! Best regards.”

 

A Bonus Tip on “Budget-Clients”

On this note, be careful not to market your baking as “for everyone and every occasion” because then you WILL attract budget clients who complain and ask for discounts!

Instead, focus on the fact that your bakes are a full on luxury, HIGH QUALITY, gourmet experience.

RELATED: 4 Essential Tips for Marketing Your Home Bakery Business

 

Closing Thoughts on Raising Your Home Bakery Prices

I know first-hand how scary it is to raise your prices! I get it.

But your business NEEDS you to raise your prices. Because if you don’t, it won’t survive.

Clients that aren’t willing to pay more for your high quality, homemade baked goods, probably weren’t your ideal clients in the first place!

But take heart because there are PLENTY more clients for you out there!

 

“What if I STILL feel too guilty to charge full price?”

It’s totally possible that you may read through this entire post and still feel too guilty to charge full price for your bakes. There’s no shame in that. I struggled with the same thing for YEARS!

NOW I HAVE SOME DEEPER QUESTIONS FOR YOU:

>> Be honest: are you pretty much working all the time? Weekends? After hours?

>> Do you take in every order you get because you feel you NEED this money for your business to survive?

>> Are you undercharging because you’re so scared that if you raise your prices, your customers will get upset and leave?

>> Are you close to burning out? Are your relationships suffering because you’re maxed out and can’t keep up with everything?

All of these are symptoms of not pricing correctly.

If you raised your hand to any of these symptoms, then the “Confident Pricing & Profit Kit” is the perfect fit for you! The Confident Pricing & Profit Kit is an online course that helps home bakers to do their pricing & bookkeeping the RIGHT way so they can earn more income without feeling guilty for charging their customers full price.

👉 Click here to check out the Confident Pricing & Profit Kit

I trust that this post has FINALLY given you everything you needed to settle the issues of raising your prices in your home bakery!

If you have any further questions, share them with me in the comments below and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can! 😉

Chat soon

Aurelia

Got a question? Something to add? Let’s chat in the comments section down below! (I respond to every single comment)

How to Know if You’re READY to Start a Home Bakery

How to Know if You’re READY to Start a Home Bakery

How to Know if You’re READY to Start a Home Bakery

Starting a Home Bakery Business has become a super attractive idea and topic over the last few years!

In this post I’m going to be brutally honest with you about the awesomeness AND the reality of starting a Home Bakery.

Here’s what going on; MANY families around the world have lost their jobs due to Covid-19…

If that’s happened to your family, I’m deeply sorry for the difficult time you’ve been going through.

Know right now that your story is not over yet! God loves you way too much to ever let anything happen to you without GREAT reason.

It might be a very difficult season for you now.

A Home Bakery Business can certainly help with the practical struggles you’re facing – like providing for your family. YES, it does work and it CAN help you and your family.

But I’m not promising that life’s going to be “perfect” a few years down the line. I’m not promising that a Home Bakery will “fix everything” for you.

This world we’re in places a LOT of emphasis on dreams and how fulfilling them will finally give you joy and contentment. Let me save you the suspense and tell you right now that no earthly thing has the power to do that.

No matter how shiny that dream is, it just won’t fulfill you. I’ve experienced this first-hand.

I believe and have seen that only Jesus Christ can fulfill you – because we were made by him and for him. If a car is made to function on diesel, no amount of petrol will EVER make it go.

Over time I’ve learned that if you’re not content WITHOUT your dreams being fulfilled, you won’t be content WITH them being fulfilled (email me if you want to chat about it).

If you expect a Home Bakery to fulfill you, it will become a HEAVY BURDEN instead of a delight. A new business struggles to grow well under such pressure.

A home bakery can absolutely be a wonderful thing! Truth be told, it’s certainly changed my life.

RELATED: How Starting a Home Bakery has Changed My Life

If you’ve been brain storming ideas of how to make an income with the baking skills you DO have, you’re totally in the right place!

And now I’m guessing you’re also here because you’re not sure if you’re truly READY to start a Home Bakery Business…

Are you wondering if you’re skilled enough? 
Prepared enough? 
What it’s going to take to build a successful home bakery? 
What are the first steps to start a baking business from home?

These are the type of questions I’m covering in this post.

Want to use your home baking to make an income for you & your family? Maybe you've been thinking about it for some time. But how can you know when you're truly READY to start a Home Bakery Business? Here's how to know if you're ready to it! #baking #homebaking #bakingbusiness #homebakery

 

I’m going give you all the specific checkpoints you need so you can judge for yourself if you are ready to start a home bakery business.

This blog post is here to give you more clarity – especially if you haven’t started a home bakery yet.

But even if you have started your business (that’s struggling to make profit) this post will help you tremendously! You may recognize some of these checkpoints that may have been holding you back.

Through this blog post you’ll understand how to overcome them so your business can start growing.

If we haven’t met yet; hi! I’m Aurelia Lambrechts. I’ve been a full-time home baker in Cape Town, South Africa for 6+ years.

Now it’s my mission to help flavor-obsessed home bakers to get the confidence and business skills they need so that they can confidently share their baking gifts with the world.

If you want to become a confident & successful Home Bakery Business owner, I’m here to help you make it happen!

Let’s get to it 😊

 

How NOT to Judge if You’re Ready

First, we need to go through some common misconceptions of how people judge their ready-ness to start a home bakery.

Here’s how NOT to judge your ready-ness.

1. “I need to have more baking experience and confidence in my knowledge before I am ready to start selling my baked goods to people.

I hear this all the time and I just want you to know that this is NOT a sign that you’re not ready.

When I started out, I literally baked one batch of cupcakes as an experiment just because I felt like some cake and it tasted great, and about a week or two later I was selling them.

That was the extent of my baking experience. Here’s a photo of how amateurish my bakes looked when I first started selling them.

Do your recipes & baked goods need to be "perfect" before you can start selling them? Actually, NO!! Not at all! Many home bakers assume they need to be a super experienced baker that develops their own recipes before they can start a Home Bakery. And it's a total LIE! Here's the truth about what it takes to start a Home Baking Business... #homebaker #baking #bakingbusiness #homebaking #homebakery

 

Sure, I baked a bit earlier in university and as a kid, but really just in the same way any normal girl bakes in her life. I didn’t have masses of baking experience or whatever.

Truth is, you need very limited baking experience before you can start a Home Bakery.

When I baked brownies for example in university, we had to raise money for charity. Baking treats was my go-to when I had to raise money for ANYTHING.

Sure, the brownies that I baked back then weren’t perfect, but they were still VERY delicious!

The brownie recipe I’m using now I’ve been tweaking and tweaking through the thousands of times I’ve made these brownies. But it doesn’t mean those first brownies were bad. They were still pretty darn tasty!

If your baking TASTES good then you’re good to go. You’re ready. It just has to TASTE delicious. It doesn’t have to be perfect.

Your baking doesn’t need to be the “most mind-blowing goods” you’ve ever had in your life or whatever. That’s not necessary. It just has to taste good and then you are ready.

Because baking experience, confidence and knowledge are things that you can LEARN. You can learn them on the go. You don’t need to have it “all figured out” before you’re ready to start a home bakery business.

 

2. “I need to have a spacious kitchen and fancy appliances before I can start.

I’m going to give it to you straight. This is a total LIE. A complete and total LIE.

We see spacious kitchens and fancy appliances on social media ALL the time, right?

We see bakers with these fancy KitchenAid mixers – some even have like three of them! We see bakers with like twenty spatulas and a massive commercial oven.

The BIG mistake we then make is to assume that we’d need all that fancy kitchen gear TOO before we can start a home bakery. But it’s so NOT true.

I started my side-hustle home bakery while I was working as an architectural technologist. I had a tiny salary and a heap of student debt, so there was NO WAY I could buy fancy appliances!

Back then I was living in a student house and the oven in the kitchen was unfortunately broken.

So, I would drive to my boyfriend’s (now husband) house to make my bakes there. After everything was baked, I drove back home and finished my bakes there – slicing brownies, frosting cupcakes, packaging everything.

Here’s the honest truth; I know life often doesn’t feel fair and it feels like other home bakers have it easier than you… But where there’s a will, there’s a way. You can MAKE this work.

If you don’t have a lot of space in your kitchen, that’s fine too!

After my first year of baking on the side, we got married. Then I decided to scale my side-hustle home bakery into a full-time one. For the first year and a half of full-time baking we lived in a tiny one-bedroom apartment and the kitchen was three square meters. I kid you not. Here’s a photo of our little kitchen.

I had two little counter tops and the oven in the middle and that was it. That was my entire kitchen.

In that tiny, 3 square meter kitchen I baked full-time for a year and a half! So, I repeat; you can MAKE it work.

Whatever your kitchen setup looks like, you can make it work. And if it seriously can’t work in your kitchen then ask a friend or family if you can bake in their kitchen once a week.

You don’t need a spacious kitchen to start a home bakery.

In my tiny kitchen I even baked for a massive event called the Good Food and Wine Show. In that tiny space I baked 1000 treats in four days. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

You don’t need heaps of resources to be successful. Success isn’t reserved for people who have an “easy life” or bottomless resources. Success goes to the people who use effective business strategies, are determined and work with what they have.

That’s what it takes to be successful.

So, whatever your situation is right now, you can make it work. Don’t let your kitchen size or lack of fancy appliances hold you back or determine whether you’re ready or not.

Your resources (or lack thereof) are NOT a sign of your ready-ness at all.

 

3. “I need to create my own recipes & they need to be perfect before I’m ready.

I already covered this a little bit in point number 1.

The very first brownies I made and sold weren’t perfect at all, but they still tasted really good! They weren’t the “ultimate chocolate brownies” that I bake now, but they were still pretty darn tasty.

Your baking does NOT have to be perfect before you’re ready to start a home bakery.

No-one is going to ask for your baking qualification or whatever. No-one cares. If it tastes good then people will buy from you. Your recipes don’t need to be perfect. Your baking just needs to taste good.

There are loads of amazing recipes online. You don’t need to develop your own recipes before you can sell your baked goods!

You can just find a delicious recipe online from Baker by Nature, Cleobuttera, Sally’s Baking Addiction, Brown-Eyed Baker or whoever else has a recipe with a high star-rating.

There are so many amazing baking blogs out there with stunning recipes. Always look at the star rating of the recipe and then make them. Make them, follow the recipe to the T and then taste it, if it tastes great then start selling them.

This is not a copyright infringement at all. If you started a blog and you copy their recipe and claim that it’s your own, that’s not okay. That would be illegal.

But, you may bake whatever recipes you find online and sell them. That’s totally okay and legal.

Of course, if you post that bake on social media it’s just good manners to tag the recipe’s creator in your caption. Please always do that.

 

4. “I’ll feel ready (not scared) when I’m ready to start a home bakery business or when it’s time for me to start one.

This is so not the case.

You see, our brains are very interesting things. Have you watched The Croods? It is such a great example!

It’s about this family of cave people and the father has this rule in their household that anything new is BAD. He’s so set on this rule that anything new is BAD because that’s how their family has survived for years and years. NOT avoiding new things is the reason why all their neighbours have died.

This is exactly the way many home bakers approach something like starting a home bakery!

Your brain will ALWAYS make you scared of things that are NEW.

Fear is NOT a sign that you’re not supposed to start a Home Bakery.

Fear is NOT a sign that you’re not ready. It’s just a sign that you’re HUMAN, that’s all. Don’t let the feeling of nervousness and fear make you assume that you’re not ready to start a home bakery.

 

Now that we’ve discussed how NOT to judge your ready-ness, let’s go over the ACTUAL signs that you’re ready to start a home bakery.

The 3 Signs that You’re READY to Start a Home Bakery Business:

1. You’re not looking for a “get-rich-quick shortcut” but you actually LOVE baking.

During Covid-19 people’s eyes have been opened to the benefits of a home bakery business.

You get to be at home – which is mandatory during quarantine and lockdown. You get to make money from the comfort of your own home and you’re able to be there for your family.

There are so many benefits to a home bakery business.

And now during Covid-19 I’ve received so many e-mails from people saying; “my wife and I are at home and we realize we have this time, let’s start a baking business!”

That’s great and all but you need to realize that if you’re going to start a home bakery you’re going to be baking – A LOT.

If you don’t love baking, you’re going to have a very tough time having a BAKING business! A home bakery is not a get-rich-quick scheme. It’s not a shortcut to quickly make money.

You’re going to have to grow. You are going to learn how to be a business owner.

In the beginning you’ll be baking after hours as you build up a side-hustle home bakery. Are you willing to make that commitment?

And then, when you’re baking full-time, you’re going to be baking about four to five days per week. Every week. Do you love baking enough to do it five days per week?

If you do, then that’s GREAT! Then you’re ready to start a Home Bakery.

If you only want to make a heap of money quickly then a home bakery business is not right for you. But, if you want to make an income AND the idea of baking on a very regular basis excites you, then you’re ready for a home bakery.

You LOVE baking and the idea of starting a baking business from home has been lingering in the back of your mind... But how can you know if you're really READY to Start a Home Bakery? If you've been doubting whether you're prepared enough, skilled enough, talented enough, experienced enough, etc. This post is for YOU! #baking #homebaking #homebakery #cakebusiness #homebusiness

2. You’re open to learning new things for the rest of your life.

Being open to learning new things is VITAL for the success of a home bakery business.

It’s fine if you feel like you don’t know enough. It is fine if you don’t have enough experience and knowledge right now and you don’t feel confident in your knowledge, that’s fine.

It’s only a problem if you don’t want to learn new skills or grow them.

Because learning new skills and growing them is the ONLY way you’re going to become a successful business owner.

A] You’re going to need to grow as a person.

Here’s a quote from small business expert Michael E Gerber (from his book The E-Myth Revisited): “Your small business will always be nothing more than a distinct reflection of who you are.”

Here’s what he’s saying: YOU are the center of your baking business. YOU are the person making all the decisions. And therefor your business will magnify YOUR weaknesses and strengths.

Every single business decision will be made in your mind. You are the person that makes those decisions.

So, if you’re very un-confident and insecure and doubt yourself then that’s going to come out in your baking business. It’s inevitable. It just happens.

I saw that in my own business and that’s why I had to grow so much as a person.

But once again, if you’re just OPEN to learning and growing and changing, then you are going to be totally fine. Then you’re ready to start a home bakery.

 

B] You’re also going to need to grow as a business owner.

School was a wonderful thing, I’m very grateful to have gone to school.

But you need to understand that school was created during the Industrial Revolution. It was a different time. School was intentionally designed to produce docile factory employees – someone that works for a boss.

The way you think, the way you function, the way you make decisions; ALL of it was shaped by the traditional schooling system.

Right now, you’re functioning like an employee that works for someone else. It’s not your fault. It’s not a bad thing. It’s just what school trained you for. That’s a fact.

But now that you want to become a successful business owner, you’re going to need to learn how to become an ENTREPRENEUR. That’s a totally different ball game.

The Employee mindsets, employee beliefs, employee ways of doing things (which you were taught in school) do not work when you’re trying to become an entrepreneur. Employee-thinking won’t help you when you want to become a successful business owner.

But once again, you just need to be OPEN to learning about entrepreneurship.

You just need to be open to learning new entrepreneurial skills and how to think like an entrepreneur, how to act like an entrepreneur.

Great news is that ANYONE who is open can learn how to be an entrepreneur!

It’s not something that you’re “born with” or not.

Anyone who is open can learn entrepreneurship skills. They are very simple. They are very straightforward and they can be taught. It can be learned.

You just need to be open and willing to learn; then you are ready.

 

3. You don’t have it all figured out. You’re scared but you’re ALSO excited!

I want you to imagine something for a moment. Picture yourself with a thriving home bakery. You are fully booked for this week and next week in advance.

You are baking full-time. You’re baking about four to five days per week.

Now, I want to ask you; does that thought make you feel tired and overwhelmed? OR does it make you feel nervous, but ALSO giddy and excited?

That’s how you know you’re ready to start a home bakery! If the thought is scary but it ALSO excites you.

In summary; what makes you ready is NOT the knowledge and experience you have. It’s NOT about feeling ready. It’s not about having a massive kitchen with fancy appliances.

None of those are signs that you are ready.

THE SIGNS THAT YOU’RE READY TO START A HOME BAKERY ARE:

  1. You’re in love with baking,
  2. You’re open to learning new skills and
  3. The thought of a home bakery makes you feel nervous and scared, but ALSO very excited.

 

I’m READY! What do I do Next??

And now, if you’ve just realized you ARE ready to start a Home Bakery Business, I’d love to show you HOW to do it 😊 Yay!

Remember how I told you need to learn how to think & act like an entrepreneur – not an employee?

Well, here’s an entrepreneurship TRUTH you need to know: Home Bakery success doesn’t happen by accident or luck or talent alone. Success happens with STRATEGY.

Even if you’re one of the best bakers in your town/city, you’ll still need to grow beyond being a baker and LEARN how to become an ENTREPRENEUR.

Because a successful baking business is 30% great baking and 70% great Business Strategy. That explains why commercial bakeries are so successful. Their baking doesn’t taste as good as yours, but their business strategy is on point! Make sense?

Imagine how far you could go if you had the business skills to MATCH your delicious baking!

Here’s how to get consistent sales every week:

Learn about ENTREPRENEURSHIP and learn about how CLIENTS THINK before they buy (in other words, learn about Marketing). Invest in a proven STRATEGY to get clients & sales every week.

If you want a home bakery that gets consistent orders and a stable income; you need a proven STRATEGY to get you there.

So, come join me in my next, free Home Bakery Masterclass to learn my exact system for creating a fully-booked baking business.

I can’t wait to see you there! 😊

Aurelia

Got a question? Something to add? Let’s chat in the comments section down below! (I respond to every single comment)

7 Books Every Home Bakery Business Owner Needs to Read

7 Books Every Home Bakery Business Owner Needs to Read

 7 Books Every Home Bakery Business Owner Needs to Read

First of all you’ve got to know that I hate reading.

There, I’ve said it.

My husband, Adriaan, can read for hooouuuuurs on end.

But to me, reading is just… well… boring.

So the fact that I’m recommending books to you today means that these books are nothing short of MIRACULOUS.

Books may be boring to me in general, yes.

But when a book has the power to turn your business around from losing 70% of your profit to being fully booked – FOR 3 MONTHS IN ADVANCE – then it’s everything but “boring”, right?!

 

Books have saved my Home Bakery Business.

The amount of knowledge experts share in books is astounding!

They’ll honestly share $1500 worth of info in a book that you can buy for just $15.

Books are the most AFFORDABLE way to transform your life and business. Period.

I do offer a whole bunch of online courses to help home bakers get consistent sales and grow their home baking into a full-time career, but I realize that this route isn’t for everyone.

Very often, it’s just impossible – financially – to join an online course.

But an online course isn’t the only way to be successful.

YES, reading is “boring”, but a successful baking business sure isn’t! Don't avoid reading books like I did for the first 4 years in my home bakery. Experts seriously share $1500 worth of information in their books which they sell for $10 - $15! When I finally started reading books to help my business, I became fully booked for up to months in advance. Start reading these books NOW so that you can get more home baking business clients & sales! #homebaking #homebakery #bakingbusiness #athomebakery

 

Gosh, there sure weren’t any online courses to help ME on my home bakery journey! So the ONLY option I had was to fall on my face >> thousands of times.

And eventually my husband convinced me to stop whining about how tough life is and read a book about how to MAKE my baking business successful.

It took about 6 years of trial & error, reading, testing strategies, tweaking strategies, making mistakes, apologizing, learning and GROWING…

But it was worth it!

Reaching your goals and GROWING as a person is always worth it.

Doing it all yourself often just takes a long time.

The great advantage of my online courses is that you’ll take a severe shortcut to home bakery business success. I’ve got a student who’s gone from a full-time desk job to full-time home baking in 10 months – which is a whole lot shorter than 6 years, right?

But I repeat; an online course isn’t the only way to be successful.

You CAN absolutely DIY your Home Bakery success path!

And books are the most affordable and effective way to do that.

Please note: This post has affiliate links. This means that if you purchase some of these products I get a tiny commission – but at NO extra cost to you. I’m super proud to recommend these resources to you because they’ve completely transformed my Home Bakery Business!

Let me fill you in on the 7 Books every Home Bakery owner needs to read.

I’m going to list them in order of importance from a beginner level Home Bakery (thinking about starting) to an advanced level Home Bakery (baking full-time).

 

1. The Heart to Start – David Kadavy

This is a short, funny and sweet book that’s perfect for any creative person – which absolutely includes home bakers!

>> If you struggle with self-doubt

>> Or with having the guts to put yourself and your baking out there…

>> Or you’re a perfectionist that finds excuses NOT to start your Home Bakery (totally raising my own hand too, by the way!)…

This is the book you need.

The Heart to Start breaks down all the reasons we don’t start putting ourselves out there. When you understand WHY you’re hesitant to let your creativity shine, it becomes so much simpler to overcome your procrastination.

He gives it to you straight. He gives you truckloads of perspective that will OPEN YOUR EYES like never before!

You’ll finally understand yourself and how to get out of your own way so you can START the things you were meant to start.

books for home bakery business owners - the heart to start by David Kadavy

 

2. The $100 Startup – Chris Guillebeau

Where do I begin to express my deep gratitude for this book?…

I was a stubborn home baker that didn’t want to learn ANYTHING about business and marketing. I just wanted to BAKE!

To me the business side felt overwhelming, super scary and boring all at the same time.

For the first 4 years in my Home Bakery Business I kept praying that God would send me someone to handle the business side FOR me.

“Aurelia; you just handle the baking, I’ll handle the business stuff and we’ll all live happily ever after.”

This is what I wanted.

But God did not give me this…

You see dear friend, we spend so much time praying for things to be easier.

And instead of miraculously making our lives easier, God often gives us opportunities to GROW – which will eventually make our lives a bit easier (in that department at least).

But it’s NOT instant.

So when we see the opportunities to GROW instead of the miracle quick-fix, we get upset.

I understand because I often do this too! Even still today!

But because I’d just lost my biggest client and 70% of my income I literally had nothing else to do but read this book.

Guess what happened?

The $100 Startup made me fall in love with business & marketing.

And I’ve been smitten ever since!

This book helped me to realize that if you’re serious about making a profit, you can’t afford to NOT learn about business & marketing.

Business & Marketing isn’t like the dishes and cleaning in your business. This is not something you ignore and hand off to someone else to handle for you.

If you’re serious about making baking your career, you’ll grab the opportunity to learn from this book as soon as possible.

It’s easy to read, realistic and it gets you results.

books for home bakery business owners - the $100 startup by Chris Guillebeau

 

3. How to Avoid a Soggy Bottom – Gerard Baker

This is my favourite baking book of all time. But here comes the plot twist… it’s NOT a recipe book!

How to Avoid a Soggy Bottom is all about the technical science of baking.

There’s nothing worse than baking up a flop and assuming that you were “just unlucky today”.

There’s no such thing.

Baking is a SCIENCE. That’s one of the things I love most about it!

When a bake flops there are always reasons WHY.

Understanding the science of baking is the BIGGEST leap you can take towards improving the quality of your baking.

The better you can understand the science of baking, the better your bakes will turn out and the more consistent your baking will be.

How to Avoid a Soggy Bottom answers a whopping 150 essential baking questions! And with this knowledge your flops will be a thing of the past.

books for home bakery business owners - how to avoid a soggy bottom by Gerard Baker

 

4. Show Your Work – Austin Kleon

For YEARS I thought I always had to put my “best foot forward” in my business to be successful. Maybe you think that’s what you should do too?

We home bakers tend to follow hundreds of popular bakers on Instagram. We see their perfect baked goods, with perfect photos taken in their perfect kitchens.

Then we assume we need to replicate that perfection before our work is “good enough” to share on Instagram.

You see, we make the mistake of thinking that we’re either:

a] Baking for ourselves OR
b] Baking for our baking-heroes

While NEITHER of these is true.

>> Your clients don’t follow hundreds of bakers on Instagram like you do!

>> They don’t stare at your average-ish website criticizing it for hours on end like you do.

>> They’re not looking up every single baker in your town or city and laying out a crime investigation board with photos to determine who the “best” and “most deserving” baker is!

You’re not baking for yourself and you’re not baking for your “competition”. You’re baking for your CLIENTS.

If you want to become a successful entrepreneur, spend your energy thinking about what matters to your CLIENTS.

And one of the biggest things your clients want is to feel like they’re included in something meaningful. They want to be PART of something special.

Show Your Work gives you practical tips for how to make your customers feel like they are a vital PART of your business.

The book shows you how to INCLUDE your clients in your business and as a result you’ll win their attention, hearts and they’ll sing your praises from their rooftops!

books for home bakery business owners - show your work by Austin Kleon

 

5. Building a Story Brand – Donald Miller

For the first 5 years in my Home Bakery Business I always positioned my Home Bakery to “impress people”. I thought that’s what you need to do to get people’s attention. You need to IMPRESS them.

Maybe that’s how you feel right now in your business?

But people don’t buy because they’re impressed.

They buy when they clearly (and quickly) see that you UNDERSTAND their problems and can help them to solve their problems.

Here’s the most shocking truth of why businesses fail: They position themselves as the hero of the story. They make the story all about them and how amazing their company is.

But meanwhile all clients are only interested in ONE story – their OWN story!

Here’s a practical example:

We all tend to think we (and our home bakery business) are Daniel LaRusso in the Karate Kid movie.

On our social media and websites we parade around with our trophy trying to show people “Look at me & my business! My home bakery it legit! Look at the delicious things I make! Look at the list of organic ingredients I use! Come over here and read my life story that’s all about me!”

I did this too.

It’s how we all start out and there’s no shame in that because it’s what we see so many other businesses do.

But if you want your Home Bakery Business to GROW, you’re going to need to start to approach your business’ story DIFFERENTLY.

Truth is, my dear friend, we are NOT the hero of the story.

YOUR CLIENT is the hero.

Your business’ story is about guiding your client to success.

You’re Mr. Miyagi!! You are the GUIDE, not the hero.

A successful business is the one guiding Daniel (your client) and helping him to overcome his problems and reach success.

When your business is all about YOU, it won’t attract new clients. Plain and simple.

But when your business starts to revolve around your clients’ success, they start flocking to you automatically!

 

Believe it or not this is just ONE of the SEVEN steps that Donald Miller teaches you in his best-selling book – Building a StoryBrand.

When I started positioning my Home Bakery Business as the GUIDE and the client as the hero, things in my biz totally transformed!

Building a StoryBrand is THE BEST book on Marketing I’ve ever read. Period.

(The strategies in this book are a bit more advanced though. This book will only be beneficial to you once you’ve already got a website.)

Building a StoryBrand has changed my life!

You can also check out their podcast which is free and incredible >> Building a StoryBrand Podcast. But start at EPISODE 1! Don’t skip ahead and miss all the gold!

books for home bakery business owners - building a story brand by Donald Miller

 

6. Deep Work – Cal Newport

Technology brings a lot of WONDERFUL advantages to our lives. If it weren’t for technology, my blog wouldn’t exist right now!

You’d have needed to WAIT for your hair to dry naturally this morning. And before that you would’ve needed to boil water over a fire for your bath!

Technology is awesome and it’s powerful.

But with great power comes great responsibility, right?

In Cal Newport’s book Deep Work, he fills us in on the greatest disadvantage of technology.

Fact is, technology has TRAINED us to be distracted.

So often I’ll grab my phone because I wanted to do something specific – like making a note of an idea.

Then suddenly, 10 minutes later, I realize I’ve been on Instagram (again) and completely forgot the reason I picked up my phone in the first place!

Come on, you know it’s happened to you too. Just admit it! No shame here.

The problem is that in such a distracted world of constantly checking emails, text messages, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Tik Tok, et freakin cetera… we spend so little time digging into the REAL creativity – the GOLD – within ourselves.

The kind of creativity, productivity, clarity of mind and deep work that requires more than 15 minutes of focus to access.

To get to your TRUE GENIUS, you need to focus on one thing for a few hours – not minutes.

>> Deep Work has helped me to access my BEST ideas.

>> It helps me to GET MORE DONE in LESS TIME every single day.

>> It’s helped me to organize my life to be less distracted and more present.

This book helps me DEFINE what exactly I want and how to get there faster, with more calm and less anxiety.

If you want to uncover your deepest creative genius,
and have a calmer life with less noise & more clarity,
and be more efficient & productive…

This is the book you need to get there.

books for home bakery business owners - deep work by Cal Newport

 

7. The E-Myth Revisited

This book is NOT for beginners.

When we start our Home Bakery Business, the one thing we keep wishing & praying for is MORE clients.

But as your Home Bakery grows so do the responsibilities and sense of overwhelm & obligation.

Over time you start longing for the days when things were smaller and simpler.

You’ll long for the days you could just bake 1 thing at a time – soaking in the beauty of baking.

Now you need to crank out 20 times that per day. You need to employ staff, but you’re SO scared they won’t care about your business the same way YOU do.

So you just soldier on and do everything yourself.

If you’ve been getting to that point where your Home Bakery is constantly fully booked, you’re baking 24/7 and feel like you’re juggling 100 balls at once – this book is SO for YOU!

The “E-Myth” stands for the “Entrepreneur-Myth”. Weird name, I know. But don’t let that put you off.

This single book has the power to save your life and your business – before it swallows you whole (which inevitably happens in EVERY small business).

In this book Michael Gerber tells us the story of his coaching journey with Sarah and her Pie Baking Business. (And let’s pause for a moment and acknowledge how beyond cool is it that his case study is a home baker, right?!)

You get to be a fly on the wall witnessing all their conversations.

The book starts where Sarah’s working 20 hours a day (yes, 20 hours isn’t a typo), 6 days a week. (And I know this is true because I’ve been there too.)

And it ends with she’s able to take a WEEK OFF while her business runs smooth as butter without her needing to be there. Isn’t that incredible?!

The E-myth Revisited asks you the questions you don’t want to hear.

It challenges you like no other book challenges a small business owner.

It will force you to acknowledge that businesses, like people, are destined to grow!

And you’ll learn exactly how to facilitate that growth of your business – without sacrificing quality, your marriage or health for it.

This book will help you to navigate and calm the storm of a growing business.

It will SIMPLIFY the growth process for you and help you to get more profit AND more balance back into your life.

TOTAL must read for advanced Home Bakery Owners!

books for home bakery business owners - the e-myth revisited by Michael Gerber

 

8. Find Your Why – Simon Sinek

Okay fine, I lied… There are 8 books. I just knew that “8 books” in the post title would look WAY more scary than 7!

But there’s another book I just CANNOT leave out.

And it’s Find Your Why.

“People like Martin Luther King Jr., Steve Jobs, and the Wright Brothers had little in common, but they all started with WHY. They realized that people won’t truly buy into a product, service, movement, or idea until they understand the WHY behind it.

Start With Why shows that the leaders who’ve had the greatest influence in the world all think, act, and communicate the same way — and it’s the opposite of what everyone else does.” – Excerpt from simonsinek.com.

So essentially this book is all about understanding how your clients THINK.

Why is that important to your business?

Because, dear friend, before a client buys from you they THINK a whole bunch of things that lead them to buying from you – OR from your competition.

The success of your business hinges on what your clients think and how they make decisions.

Find Your Why will help you understand why your clients aren’t connecting with you or your business and what you can do to fix that.

books for home bakery business owners - find your why by Simon Sinek

 

Okay, now I’m REALLY done!

There are SO many more books I could recommend, but maybe it’s best that I stop myself here.

Once again, I repeat – I really DON’T like reading at all. But these books have literally changed my Home Bakery Business and my life.

They’ve also been the perfect way SAVE MONEY & GROW at the same time. For example; my cousin who’s a marketing lecturer learned more from the Building a Story Brand book (which costs $16) than in his entire university education (which cost OVER $10,000).

Learning doesn’t need to be expensive.

Special shout-out; I’m extremely grateful to my bookworm husband that persisted in encouraging me to read. If you’re reading this, THANK YOU Fish-pie.

Please don’t be a book-allergic idiot like I was for the first 4 years in my business.

Start reading these books NOW so you can start changing the future of your business and life.

Reading is boring, but success sure isn’t!

Struggling to get home bakery clients & sales? Books are THE easiest, cheapest way to grow your baking business! I know reading seems boring - I mean, hate reading - but being successful sure isn't boring! Click through to learn about the books that transformed my home bakery into a fully booked success! #baking #homebakery #bakingbusiness #cakebusiness

 

And now I want to hear from YOU! Are there any books YOU’VE read that have made a significant impact on your baking or baking business?

Chat soon

Aurelia

 

 

5. Building a Story Brand – Donald Miller

For the first 5 years in my Home Bakery Business I always positioned my Home Bakery to “impress people”. I thought that’s what you need to do to get people’s attention. You need to IMPRESS them.

Maybe that’s how you feel right now in your business?

But people don’t buy because they’re impressed.

They buy when they clearly (and quickly) see that you UNDERSTAND their problems and can help them to solve their problems.

Here’s the most shocking truth of why businesses fail: They position themselves as the hero of the story. They make the story all about them and how amazing their company is.

But meanwhile all clients are only interested in ONE story – their OWN story!

Here’s a practical example:

We all tend to think we (and our home bakery business) are Daniel LaRusso in the Karate Kid movie.

On our social media and websites we parade around with our trophy trying to show people “Look at me & my business! My home bakery it legit! Look at the delicious things I make! Look at the list of organic ingredients I use! Come over here and read my life story that’s all about me!”

I did this too.

It’s how we all start out and there’s no shame in that because it’s what we see so many other businesses do.

But if you want your Home Bakery Business to GROW, you’re going to need to start to approach your business’ story DIFFERENTLY.

Truth is, my dear friend, we are NOT the hero of the story.

YOUR CLIENT is the hero.

Your business’ story is about guiding your client to success.

You’re Mr Miyagi!! You are the GUIDE, not the hero.

A successful business is the one guiding Daniel (your client) and helping him to overcome his problems and reach success.

When your business is all about YOU, it won’t attract new clients. Plain and simple.

But when your business starts to revolve around your clients’ success, they start flocking to you automatically!

 

Believe it or not this is just ONE of the SEVEN steps that Donald Miller teaches you in his best-selling book – Building a StoryBrand.

When I started positioning my Home Bakery Business as the GUIDE and the client as the hero, things in my biz totally transformed!

Building a StoryBrand is THE BEST book on Marketing I’ve ever read. Period.

The strategies in this book are a bit more advanced though. This book will only be beneficial to you once you’ve already got a website and have worked through the book The $100 Startup already.

Building a StoryBrand has changed my life!

You can also check out their podcast which is free and incredible >> Building a StoryBrand Podcast. But start at EPISODE 1! Don’t skip ahead and miss all the gold!

books for home bakery business owners - building a story brand by Donald Miller

 6. Deep Work – Cal Newport

Technology brings a lot of WONDERFUL advantages to our lives. If it weren’t for technology, my blog wouldn’t exist right now!

You’d have needed to WAIT for your hair to dry naturally this morning. And before that you would’ve needed to boil water over a fire for your bath!

Technology is awesome and it’s powerful.

But with great power comes great responsibility, right?

In Cal Newport’s book Deep Work, he fills us in on the greatest disadvantage of technology.

Fact is, technology has TRAINED us to be distracted.

So often I’ll grab my phone because I wanted to do something specific – like making a note of an idea.

Then suddenly, 10 minutes later, I realize I’ve been on Instagram (again) and completely forgot the reason I picked up my phone in the first place!

Come on, you know it’s happened to you too. Just admit it! No shame here.

The problem is that in such a distracted world of constantly checking emails, text messages, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Tik Tok, et freakin cetera… we spend so little time digging into the REAL creativity – the GOLD – within ourselves.

The kind of creativity, productivity, clarity of mind and deep work that requires more than 15 minutes of focus to access.

To get to your TRUE GENIUS, you need to focus on one thing for a few hours – not minutes.

>> Deep Work has helped me to access my BEST ideas.

>> It helps me to GET MORE DONE in LESS TIME every single day.

>> It’s helped me to organize my life to be less distracted and more present.

This book helps me DEFINE what exactly I want and how to get there faster, with more calm and less anxiety.

If you want to uncover your deepest creative genius,
and have a calmer life with less noise & more clarity,
and be more efficient & productive…

This is the book you need to get there.

books for home bakery business owners - deep work by Cal Newport

 

7. The E-Myth Revisited

This book is NOT for beginners.

When we start our Home Bakery Business, the one thing we keep wishing & praying for is MORE clients.

But as your Home Bakery grows so do the responsibilities and sense of overwhelm & obligation.

Over time you start longing for the days when things were smaller and simpler.

You’ll long for the days you could just bake 1 thing at a time – soaking in the beauty of baking.

Now you need to crank out 20 times that per day. You need to employ staff, but you’re SO scared they won’t care about your business the same way YOU do.

So you just soldier on and do everything yourself.

If you’ve been getting to that point where your Home Bakery is constantly fully booked, you’re baking 24/7 and feel like you’re juggling 100 balls at once – this book is SO for YOU!

The “E-Myth” stands for the “Entrepreneur-Myth”. Weird name, I know. But don’t let that put you off.

This single book has the power to save your life and your business – before it swallows you whole (which inevitably happens in EVERY small business).

In this book Michael Gerber tells us the story of his coaching journey with Sarah and her Pie Baking Business. (And let’s pause for a moment and acknowledge how beyond cool is it that his case study is a home baker, right?!)

You get to be a fly on the wall witnessing all their conversations.

The book starts where Sarah’s working 20 hours a day (yes, 20 hours isn’t a typo), 6 days a week. (And I know this is true because I’ve been there too.)

And it ends with she’s able to take a WEEK OFF while her business runs smooth as butter without her needing to be there. Isn’t that incredible?!

The E-myth Revisited asks you the questions you don’t want to hear.

It challenges you like no other book challenges a small business owner.

It will force you to acknowledge that businesses, like people, are destined to grow!

And you’ll learn exactly how to facilitate that growth of your business – without sacrificing quality, your marriage or health for it.

This book will help you to navigate and calm the storm of a growing business.

It will SIMPLIFY the growth process for you and help you to get more profit AND more balance back into your life.

TOTAL must read for advanced Home Bakery Owners!

books for home bakery business owners - the e-myth revisited by Michael Gerber

 

8. Find Your Why – Simon Sinek

Okay fine, I lied… There are 8 books. I just knew that “8 books” in the post title would look WAY more scary than 7!

But there’s another book I just CANNOT leave out.

And it’s Find Your Why.

“People like Martin Luther King Jr., Steve Jobs, and the Wright Brothers had little in common, but they all started with WHY. They realized that people won’t truly buy into a product, service, movement, or idea until they understand the WHY behind it.

Start With Why shows that the leaders who’ve had the greatest influence in the world all think, act, and communicate the same way — and it’s the opposite of what everyone else does.” – Excerpt from simonsinek.com.

So essentially this book is all about understanding how your clients THINK.

Why is that important to your business?

Because, dear friend, before a client buys from you they THINK a whole bunch of things that lead them to buying from you – OR from your competition.

The success of your business hinges on what your clients think and how they make decisions.

Find Your Why will help you understand why your clients aren’t connecting with you or your business and what you can do to fix that.

books for home bakery business owners - find your why by Simon Sinek

 

Okay, now I’m REALLY done!

There are SO many more books I could recommend, but maybe it’s best that I stop myself here.

Once again, I repeat – I really DON’T like reading at all. But these books have literally changed my Home Bakery Business and my life.

They’ve also been the perfect way SAVE MONEY & GROW at the same time. For example; my cousin who’s a marketing lecturer learned more from the Building a Story Brand book (which costs $16) than in his entire university education (which cost OVER $10,000).

Learning doesn’t need to be expensive.

Special shout-out; I’m extremely grateful to my bookworm husband that persisted in encouraging me to read. If you’re reading this, THANK YOU Fish-pie.

Please don’t be a book-allergic idiot like I was for the first 4 years in my business.

Start reading these books NOW so you can start changing the future of your business and life.

Reading is boring, but success sure isn’t!

Struggling to get home bakery clients & sales? Books are THE easiest, cheapest way to grow your baking business! I know reading seems boring - I mean, hate reading - but being successful sure isn't boring! Click through to learn about the books that transformed my home bakery into a fully booked success! #baking #homebakery #bakingbusiness #cakebusiness

 

And now I want to hear from YOU! Are there any books YOU’VE read that have made a significant impact on your baking or baking business?

Chat soon

Aurelia

Got a question? Something to add? Let’s chat in the comments section down below! (I respond to every single comment)